Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
JMJOHN
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BikeTronics RetroRadio Vs Jensen HD1BT ?

We are using this thread to get feedback direct from the users of each of these radio replacement options for the 1998-2013 Harley Baggers.

As most of you know, we install thousands of speakers, amplifiers & radio replacements, (including rebuilt Harley HK radios) at the major motorcycle rallies across the USA each year.

So we would like to hear what YOU think of these 3 major options available, for your Harley fairing.

In your opinion, what are the pros of each ?
What are the cons ?

·
Registered
988 Posts
I am running the Jensen now. as for the pros #1 is how simple it is to install and use. Retain hand controls without installing an interface. On the con side, I know there are better sounding units out there. The only other negative is the size of the display, kind of hard to see on a RG. As for the HK I really liked it on my 11 but I started having ipod interface problems with my 13. I got really frustrated and bought the Jensen.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I had the Jensen in for 2 days. Not worth the money. You'll need the spend another 300+ to be able to hear it and the sound quality is lacking. A lot. Mine would also lose USB connection with the ipod. I used 3 cables on was a new 30.00 one. So it was not that. The display was horrible can't see the clock. I'll keep running my stock unit. A better option in the ipod controller kit on the HK head unit. Very happy with it.

When selling the Jensen. Ya may want to tell them it requires an amp to sound like the stock unit.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I am running the Jensen now. as for the pros #1 is how simple it is to install and use. Retain hand controls without installing an interface. On the con side, I know there are better sounding units out there. The only other negative is the size of the display, kind of hard to see on a RG. As for the HK I really liked it on my 11 but I started having ipod interface problems with my 13. I got really frustrated and bought the Jensen.

+1 My HK got drownded on the way to the Black Hills last week. Contrary to what I've heard, the sound quality of the Jenson is much better than the stock HK. The display is a little small, but not a deal breaker.

This the main reason I chose the Jensen.........Waterproof unit face (IPX6) and rear chassis (IPX5). IPX6 is one step below submersion quality....... and I don't plan on submerging my bike. :wink:

EDIT: I have to add, the iPod always starts where it left off. No more going back to the first song. And I now have the clock in the odometer window. I don't know why people say you can't see the display in direct sunlight. I can see mine just fine. As I said before, it's a little small, but I can still see it, even with my 63 year old eyes.

·
Registered
988 Posts
My main problem with the display on the Jensen is the size of the clock when it is playing. I have to kill the power so the clock is full size to see what time it is. With polarized glasses it looks blank most of the time. Sorry to hear about your HK Ron. The warranty ran out right before you left town. I was not saying I was not happy with the sound of the Jensen, just think you could do better for sound quality but on a bike as long as I can hear it at 80 I'm good. Happy with the Jensen but its not perfect. It is nice not starting on the first song every time. I can not stand to hear "Abilene" anymore.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
My main problem with the display on the Jensen is the size of the clock when it is playing. I have to kill the power so the clock is full size to see what time it is. With polarized glasses it looks blank most of the time. Sorry to hear about your HK Ron. The warranty ran out right before you left town. I was not saying I was not happy with the sound of the Jensen, just think you could do better for sound quality but on a bike as long as I can hear it at 80 I'm good. Happy with the Jensen but its not perfect. It is nice not starting on the first song every time. I can not stand to hear "Abilene" anymore.

You do know there is a clock in the odometer window after you remove the HK, don't you? That would be the 12:00 that's flashing like a VCR, as you cycle the odometer..... until you set it :grin:

As far as sound, I'm thinking about an amp....... so I can really annoy the neighbers. >:)

I don't wear polarized glasses because of my Zumo660. Why they set it with the screen orientation so that polarized glasses make it really dark, is beyond stupid. :surprise:

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
You do know there is a clock in the odometer window after you remove the HK, don't you? That would be the 12:00 that's flashing like a VCR, as you cycle the odometer..... until you set it :grin:

As far as sound, I'm thinking about an amp....... so I can really annoy the neighbers. >:)

I don't wear polarized glasses because of my Zumo660. Why they set it with the screen orientation so that polarized glasses make it really dark, is beyond stupid. :surprise:
That odometer clock keeps perfect time. It always right on with the time on the Alpine face.

·
Registered
988 Posts

I forgot all about that clock.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Added a J&M JMAA-3600HR06-RC 360 Watt 4 channel amp to the Jensen. That amp really made the Jensen come alive. It will rip the skin off of your face a half volume, and no distortion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts