1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at this Biketronics: 2015 and Up RG BT2180 Amp & Speaker Package
and this
J&M Rokker Extreme # RXEK-330SP2-15RG

Both are 2 speaker (fairing) and amp kits. Big difference in price. Is J&M that much better than Biketronics?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the J&M setup, more than happy with it. The customer service from John was above and beyond. If you shop it around the price is about the same.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Personally, I didn't have good luck with J&M products. I found them to be unreliable. Yes, when I had problems, they did replace them (amp, once under warranty and another time with a refurbed unit out of warranty). I just got tired of the failures and having to take the fairing on and off repeatedly to troubleshoot and/or replace parts. I ended up going with Hawg Wired amps. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I don't have any experience with J&M. I have the Biketronics BT2180 with their 7.1 speakers in the fairing and their 6.5s in my lowers. It sounds good and you can't beat the warranty. The one thing I don't like about the bt2180 is there are no adjustments on the amp. I had an arc amp and Polk speakers on my streetglide and it sounded good also. I did a ton of research over the years. The only reason I didn't go with J&M is that there seems to be a love hate relationship with them. People either really like them or don't. They also are priced pretty high. The combination of negative reviews and price kept me away. Try to find someone with both systems and listen to them and talk to the owners. That is the best way to make this decision.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Running the 4 Ch J&M with the XT since 2013 no issues at all. Also have the biketronic radio adapter no issues at all. Both good products IMO. Opted for J&M amp cause have the mounting plate and all necessary components to connect the HD HK radio, latter replaced the HK radio if didn't have the J&M amp provably would go other route.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I also had issues with J&M, Bad speaker then 2 failed amps. On the speaker I paid the difference for the upgrade. Amp #1 I never mailed the warranty so I ate that one. #2 was replaced under warranty after many e-mails and phone calls. Next issue the whole system goes and I spend my $$$$$ elsewhere.

·
Registered
230 Posts
No experieince with J & M. But my biketronics stuff cranks and is crystal clear

BT4180 + 7.1 PRo with 6x9

·
Registered
758 Posts
I started with J&M in 13 RG, replaced it after a few months. Got tired of getting embarrassed by guys with systems that cost a ton less and more than held their own sound wise. Their stuff is better than boom, but not worth the money IMO. I sold my J&M and went with the BT 7.1 and 2180 - absolutely love it. Can't beat a lifetime warranty if anything does go wrong. Will never spend another penny on J&M, way too arrogant for my taste and overpriced IMO. My new 16 is sitting at the dealers, picking it up next week. The 7.1s don't fit in the Rushmore RG, already have my new BT 6.5s sitting on the counter waiting for the bike.

BT customer service and lifetime warranty can't be beat, wouldn't take another J&M system if they gave it to me for free. Like someone else said, it's a love hate thing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
After doing my research here and at Harley Davidson Forums I went with Biketronics. I liked that they made their amps on site and use HAT ( Hybrid Audio Technology) speakers, not to mention their lifetime warranty and great customer service. The company is very low key and doesn't claim their the best, they just let their products and customers do the talking.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
376 Posts
Like a lot of others I've never dealt with J&M. I tried some used hogtunes with amp, and they were crap. I found Biketronics and found them to be amazing! I spent a lot of money last year getting their ultimate kit with 7.1" front and rear with the 4 channel amp and couldn't be happier! He told me that set up will be great, but the stock head unit will be holding it back, I figured I could live with it. Well I just got my BT Retroradio kit in the mail and I'm about to order an Alpine head unit to replace the stocker for even better sound. Their customer service is amazing, simply amazing! They tend to run 10% off sales here and there, and if they're not, ask cause they might give you a discount. And you can tell they take pride in their equipment, everything comes wrapped up in bags, heavy plastic bags not cheapo ones. And the most impressive thing for me was on the bottom of the amp it says "Made in the USA" and has all the employees signatures printed on it, it's awesome. All that stuff is great but their products and sound is amazing and the warranty is lifetime. Good luck!

·
JMJOHN
1,002 Posts
J&M Builds good product and backs it up with one of the best warranties in the business ,,,,,

Biketronics builds good product and provides an excellent warranty also ,,,,,

high performance bagger audio system components have a higher failure rate percentage wise than the lower powered stuff ,,, that is the nature of the beast when we are pushing the envelope ,,,, ((J&M or Biketronics)) ,,,,

in the end, the proof is in the listening, and those of you who will attend Daytona Bike Week in Early March, stop by the big J&M trailer at Rossmeyers and listen to all of the J&M Harley Baggers ,,,,

To compare the J&M stuff to your own system, we can get out the DB meter & find out for sure right there in front of the trailer ,,,,,

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have never owned a JM product so I can't comment on their stuff but, I have had Biketronics equipment and have been very happy with it. IMO, Biketronics is top quality in terms of performance, reliability, sound, and customer service.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
"The Short Bus" has J&M Rokkers / XTs in the Fairing / Vented Lowers, Rokker 500x4 in the fairing, HK w/ ICA PreOuts,

No issues at all with either the J&M components or the bike's (stock)electrical system for 35k miles / 30 months so far...

Sounds Great at 90...

Chalk up another one to the "Love" category...

Buying from Eastern Performance (authorized reseller) eases some of the $$ pain, good customer service from EP...

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I am considering upgrading my amp and speakers on my 2015 FLTRUSE CVO Road Glide Ultra, nothing crazy like my 2013. I have contacted both companies, and JM is the only one that makes a complete 4channel amp and speaker kit that is plug play for my bike, Biketronics did state that they are in the process of getting the wiring schematic and getting a plug and play kit together, but they did not have a time frame.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I had the J&M 2 channel 330watt amp on order when this thread began, received it today. Already had the fairing speakers installed. Will work on installing this weekend and give feedback.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I had the J&M 2 channel 330watt amp on order when this thread began, received it today. Already had the fairing speakers installed. Will work on installing this weekend and give feedback.
When I did mine, in the instructions it did not say or show where to hook the switchable power connector. It hooks in between the connector going to the 12v/cig. lighter plug. It's on the top right side. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I did not go with a kit, can get more for your money purchasing separately. I went with Aquatic Av head unit, Cerwin vega B2 amp, kappa speakers.

Buddy has same bike with a JVC radio and J&M amp and speakers. His sounds ok, no complaints from him or me. The difference is when they are side by side. Mine is a touch louder. Quality and clarity wise its not even close. I am glad I went the route I did and he is getting ready to pull his speakers, amp might be going also.

However, what sounds good to me might not be what sounds good to the next guy. Very subjective

Lids are next for me and another amp for them. Needless to say no J&M back there either

1 - 20 of 20 Posts