Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else watching this series on Discovery channel?

This is on my bucket list!

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
That ride is a bikers bucket list must IMO.
Thanks for the tip about Billy Connoly's Route 66 documentary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
IMHO I think the mystic and charm of route 66 is fueled more by TV and music then reality. Having traveled 66 all my life, traveling from Kentucky to California every other year visiting my grandmother, then spending my adult life on the road I've seen it slowly disappear as the interstate took over. Most parts that are left are just disjointed sections of frontage road for I-44 & 40. Most sections, where I know it's supposed to be, you can't even find on a map. Course there are still some interesting sections out west in Arizona etc.

I read often guys coming over from Europe etc. to take their trip of a lifetime on a motorcycle on route 66 and think man what a waste, there is so much better riding in this country. I'd guess the original 66 was about 2000 miles give or take but there are way prettier ways across this magnificent country then that. Heck US-50 for example is a MUCH better route and it's still intact from Washington D.C. to San Fransisco, there is some crazy good riding on that road.

Course this is just my 2 cents, I'm sure there's rides I go on that leave guys scratching their heads LOL

·
Registered
478 Posts
IMHO I think the mystic and charm of route 66 is fueled more by TV and music then reality. Having traveled 66 all my life, traveling from Kentucky to California every other year visiting my grandmother, then spending my adult life on the road I've seen it slowly disappear as the interstate took over. Most parts that are left are just disjointed sections of frontage road for I-44 & 40. Most sections, where I know it's supposed to be, you can't even find on a map. Course there are still some interesting sections out west in Arizona etc.

I read often guys coming over from Europe etc. to take their trip of a lifetime on a motorcycle on route 66 and think man what a waste, there is so much better riding in this country. I'd guess the original 66 was about 2000 miles give or take but there are way prettier ways across this magnificent country then that. Heck US-50 for example is a MUCH better route and it's still intact from Washington D.C. to San Fransisco, there is some crazy good riding on that road.

Course this is just my 2 cents, I'm sure there's rides I go on that leave guys scratching their heads LOL
For the most part, I agree with you, Quicksand. I did Route 66 in 2009. I didn't do the whole thing, but I picked it up in MO and got off somewhere in NM. As you say, its so broken up now that its often hard to figure out if/when you're still on it and which way is the right way. Having said that, however, if you do some poking around, you can still find some cool landmarks, old gas stations, etc. If memory serves me, there are parts of the old road in Oklahoma that are still pretty cool.

But (as you suggest), I was a bit disappointed with it and I have many other rides in this country that I would place ahead of that one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts