Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everybody doing for black bolts instead of chrome? I tried painting them but the paint just comes off

·
Administrator
12,485 Posts
I plan to get Hot toppers in black to accent some areas on my bike, but I'm going to subscribe to see what others are doing.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you know what size bolt you need if you are going to buy new ones? Does Harley have some kind of chart or something that gives bolt sizes

·
Registered
189 Posts
How do you know what size bolt you need if you are going to buy new ones? Does Harley have some kind of chart or something that gives bolt sizes
HD doesnt really have a chart, their bolts have a part number, but if you use a parts manual to find the bolt pn#, and look in the back of the manual, it tells you the size, threads per inch and what type of head and grade usually an 8. I found that if I bead blasted the bolt heads and spray painted them, and use either a heat gun or one of the high output halogen lights shining on it for 10-15 mins the paint seems to cure harder. Than wait overnight to install them.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I bought some black bolts from a bolt and tool company for Debbie's bike,... They rusted inside the hex placement, it's ugly. Big disappointment! I guess it is a matter of getting the right coating?!? :confused:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I bought some black bolts from a bolt and tool company for Debbie's bike,... They rusted inside the hex placement, it's ugly. Big disappointment! I guess it is a matter of getting the right coating?!? :confused:
I agree, you would need to find powder coated or black anodized bolts so they wont rust. I guess you could try a clear spray paint over a cleaned bolt. Not sure how long it would last though.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I should start a black bolt business... :)

Reactions: turbochrisb

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hot toppers. Covers the bolt heads and looks great. Black or chrome. My road King was all chrome the RG black. Very happy with both. Don't buy other brands will chip and peel or shrink.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can get black oxide coated bolts. They will be matte black not glossy. Try an outfit like "Priority Products" in St. Charles, Illinois. Web search them. Lots of neat fasteners. They are somewhat local for me. I've just dropped in there when I needed certain things for other non Road Glide projects.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hot Toppers here too. And they aint cheap!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sent a bunch of mine in for powdercoat when I had some other parts done and they turned out great, so far no complaints..

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
We tired to find a good solution for rotors bolts and have not yet. We got some of the 14 style and VROD rotor bolts powder coated and they all chipped cracked etc.

We have searched extensively for a viable option and have found nothing that we would be willing to provide to customers that would meet their needs. If anyone has any good solutions let me know as I am always looking for black bolts. I sell a lot of black wheels with all black rotors and black bolts would be the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
462 Posts
MY local HD dealer told me Hot Toppers are out of business?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts