Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of doing some black accents. I can have them powder coated, but removing the chrome + coating would probably run $150-$200. There are a bunch on eBay that appear to be US made (not for sure). Or I could paint them myself.

What did ya'll do?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Got mine powdercoated. Took em in chrome and they came out black. Cost $50 if I remember right. The only thing I did before taking them in was clean that safety decal off.

Lil Chief

Reactions: r jarv

·
Registered
988 Posts
I should add that most powdercoaters that know what they're doing don't require you, as the owner of the parts, to have the chrome removed before you take them in for powdercoating. I don't know what the process is for chrome parts, but I've had a bunch of chrome parts powdercoated. They were all handed over to the powdercoater with the factory chrome finish on them.
Lil Chief

Reactions: RFG7680

·
Registered
927 Posts
Saw one in mint condition on the sale rack for $100. Shoulda grabbed it, but had already spent a few benjis at that point. Powdercoating is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
In the process of doing some black accents. I can have them powder coated, but removing the chrome + coating would probably run $150-$200. There are a bunch on eBay that appear to be US made (not for sure). Or I could paint them myself.

What did ya'll do?
Powdercoated. Did not even cost $50. Any powdercoater that's worth using will have their own sandblaster or be contracted with a blaster. They'll haze it, or remove it, themselves and coat it. You can get a new black one form Harley for less than $175

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

What did ya'll do?
if it costs you that much look for another powdercoater, my powdercoat guy would charge me about $50, $75 at most.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Well you got your answer. PC'ing is the way to go. Mine cost me $40 or $50. I would think ALL the ones on eBay are powdercoated as well.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I just received a black one off of ebay. paid right around $100 for it. I can tell you that while the piece was nice and heavy, and the coating was good, be very careful during installation. the black scratches very easily. also, it took some leveraging to get it to fit into place, while the hd one is very easy to fit.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Ive taken parts to my guy twice in the last year. Both times it was $165. 12 pieces the first time, and 9 the last time. Same amount if I bring 1 piece or a lot. Im sure he has a limit on how much though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is what I did, I found a new powder coater.. well.. I decided that The $1200 or so I spent on building an oven, and buying an Eastwood PC Kit would have saved me money, and it did. Iv powder coated a TON of stuff for myself, and friends. We all have saved. And with practice it got better and better. Now that I have it down pat, and even do some stenciling and crafty stuff... I have people at work, who ask for things to be done.

You can do it too, it may take some time (Building the oven and PC Booth). but it will be worth it for you in the end. Its REALLY not that hard. Its all about the prep work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everybody, Maddog here from south Orange County, CA

I just had 15 pieces, all were chrome, done last week for $500. I did all of the chrome engine covers in wrinkle black to match the engine and did the crash bar, forks and fork covers, luggage rack and saddle bag rails in gloss black. They sandblasted and coated and did it in 2 days. Im very happy and in my opinion looks MUCH better than chrome

1 - 13 of 13 Posts