Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2016 FLTRX with Black denim paint. I bought the spray they sell. What should I wash it with, and is there anything that I could put on to keep the bugs from sticking. I know not to polish. Is there a glaze, or something?
Gary

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I'm sure there is other stuff out there, but I won this in a bike show, but the HD sunwash is pretty good stuff. You don't need much of it. It's in concentrate so an ounce or two will get the bike washed. As with any kind of paint, I recommend washing in the shade and do it fast and dry it up even faster with some type of cloth or blower.

BTW, don't use any kind of soap with wax in it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Wizards makes a matte paint cleaner in the spray bottle like the HD denim paint cleaner. Although I haven't tried it yet, I've heard good things about it.
Dr. Beasley's also makes a product line for matte finish paint, but it's pretty pricey.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
324 Posts
Wondering if anyone has just used a unscented dish soap? Would think all you need is the De-greaser characteristics to clean away the dirt and oily smudges from hands and road grime. Was looking at some Target branded non scented basic dish washing liquid. Wondering if anyone has tried that.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
before harley came out with their branded denim cleaner, they recommended windex with ammonia.

·
Registered
324 Posts
before harley came out with their branded denim cleaner, they recommended windex with ammonia.
So do you wash the whole bike by spraying windex and then wiping off? I use windex for touchups or after a ride and to remove some of the crap off of the fairing and windshield.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I've used dish soap and that works pretty damn good. I just really like the sunwash because it softens the water and leaves behind way less water spots.
Any brand dish soap diluted in a spray bottle with water works fantastic for cleaning. I use a 16oz spray bottle. Fill it almost full with warm water, then a couple of squirts of Dawn or similar dish soap. I've used it almost 100% of the time since I bought my black denim bike back in May 2015.

On occasion I'll do a full wipe down using the "official" HD Black Denim Cleaner, or that other brand they sell at the dealership (Cycle Care - Black Denim Formula) and I actually prefer it over the HD stuff.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wizards makes a matte paint cleaner in the spray bottle like the HD denim paint cleaner. Although I haven't tried it yet, I've heard good things about it.
Dr. Beasley's also makes a product line for matte finish paint, but it's pretty pricey.

Lil Chief
Thank you. I was thinking about the sealant that Beasley makes. I think that would protect best.
Gary

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
So do you wash the whole bike by spraying windex and then wiping off? I use windex for touchups or after a ride and to remove some of the crap off of the fairing and windshield.
unless the bike is covered in mud, all i did was just spray it down, wipe it off. i found the black denim really simple to care for (though you'll hear others talk about it being very hard to care for).

i had mine for 4 years and had no problems with it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I agree with skratch. It's easy to care for. When I do wash the bike I try to hose off as much dirt & dust as possible, then use Harley sunwash for 2 reasons. 1, I have it, & 2, it's safe for the paint. I have a mc specific blow dryer & dry it with that. Then I'll wipe it down with the denim paint cleaner. Be careful to use a clean wash mitt when washing. I must have had a piece of crud in my mitt at one time & I ended up putting a small scratch in the clear caot on top of my tank. You can't see it unless the sun hits it just right. Unfortunately there's no going back & buffing that out. If, & that's a big if, I ever get this bike painted, I'll go with a basecoat clearcoat gloss system. I've always been fond of machine gray.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
11 Posts
I chose the denim last year over any of the other colors. I like it, but I don't know if I would choose it over vivid again. There is already a rock chip out of my left saddle back and on the front fender. My kids have left their marks on the tank when I have let them ride. I have a buffed/shiny spot on the rear fender where I went to Daytona and my sissy bar bag rubbed....

But, its definitely MY bike, and the 'imperfections' all have a story.I guess I am just used to being able to buff my ride into shiny perfection.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought the HD sunwash yesterday. I Have the spray, so I think I am set. I do want to look into the sealant From Dr. B.
Gary

·
Registered
324 Posts
I got the denim because, first, i love the look. But second, because its like a pair of jeans, easy to take care of, you don't have to wash after each ride, and they wear in. The characteristics make it unique, each little imperfection is a story. I like the shinny bikes too, but my old one I was washing it after each long ride and shining it up all the time. My wife said I took better care of my bike than anything else. I think the denim is very forgiving in the sense that even little scratches are hard to notice, and the wear marks well they add character.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I bought the HD sunwash yesterday. I Have the spray, so I think I am set. I do want to look into the sealant From Dr. B.
Gary
Let me know if you end up trying the Dr Beasleys sealant. I've considered it, but I didn't want to waste money on it if it didn't work. Plus, it's easier for me to spend your money! Lol!!

Lil Chief

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let me know if you end up trying the Dr Beasleys sealant. I've considered it, but I didn't want to waste money on it if it didn't work. Plus, it's easier for me to spend your money! Lol!!

Lil Chief
I will do that. I am going to wait till May or June to get it. I want to put a Hitch on, and a shield bag. Its $49 + shipping. So it will have to wait. It might make it easier to remove bugs. I also have some big rides lined up. Even though I camp all cost $$$$$.
Gary

·
Registered
986 Posts
On the note of bug removal, I have some Bugslide. I contacted the company that makes it & they guaranteed that it is safe for denim/matte paint finishes. They said it will enhance the finish, making the denim paint richer looking, and gloss finish paint more glossy. It works great on gloss finishes, but I have yet to try it on the denim.

Lil Chief

1 - 20 of 23 Posts