Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some black powder coated bells and lowers. I called HD to see how much they would charge to switch them out for me on my 14' SGS. He said $300 but then another $100 for oil and parts. Does this seem right?? He said I needed 2 rebuild kits, 1 for each fork. I would think 1 rebuild kit would have the parts for both forks.
Also, do I need an entire rebuild kit or just a few dust seals/oil seals???

Thanks

·
Registered
7,537 Posts
If you have the powder coated forks and your original stock fork internal parts, All you need is new fluid and a pair of fork seal.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Replace the copper crush washer at the bottom too.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I am having that exact same thing done today on my 15RGS. I have a set of black powder coated forks and Ness contrast cut uppers. I purchased new seals at the HD dealer for $21 total. The place here in tampa that i am having the work done at is charging me roughly $200 to do the work. No other parts needed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
40 bucks for parts and fluid and 1.5 hrs of my time is all I needed. Oh and a week waiting for my bells and legs to get powder coated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok great. Thanks for the responses.
So all I need to ask for is two fork seals, two crush washers and some oil???

How much oil to buy??

I wish I could find someone here in Ga to do mine for $200.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
If you are going to have everything apart now is the time to think about installing Progerssive Monotubes, the ride is much better, and all brake dive is gone. Just my $.02

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bless0 do you happen to have the part numbers you bought??

Progressive mono's. I've never read about these. Expensive upgrade?? Is the ride that much better??

·
Registered
591 Posts
I can get that info to you later. I just went to the HD dealer and asked them for the seals for the fork on a 2015 RGS they gave me the seals and crush washers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I'll just do that. Thanks
I'm now curious about these progressive mono tubes.

Also I'm assuming the front fairing will have to come off, should I do new bars also while I'm at it. I'm looking at 10" or 12" black apes. I like the LA Choppers twin peaks and the yaffe monkey bars.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
If you're gonna do bars and monotubes ,it makes sense to take it apart once. That's what I did.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Ok, I'll just do that. Thanks
I'm now curious about these progressive mono tubes.

Also I'm assuming the front fairing will have to come off, should I do new bars also while I'm at it. I'm looking at 10" or 12" black apes. I like the LA Choppers twin peaks and the yaffe monkey bars.
No, the fairing don't have to be taken off to do mono tubes. If ya don't do the mono tubes , use SE fork oil. The SE oil will help eliminate the nose dive. You'll need 2 pts. Measure how much you remove, then replace with the same for starters.
What part of GA. you in ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok. I may do the LA Chopper 10" while I'm at it.

Thanks for all of yalls help.

I live in Braselton Ga. About 40 mins north of Atlanta up I85. I work in Norcross Ga.

·
Registered
700 Posts
My brother in law has gotten some pretty reasonable service work prices from the dealer in Lithia Springs on Thornton road. You might give them a call and mention the $200 quote from Tampa HD.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Fork upgrades

I just pulled my forks off the other day, well the whole bike got stripped actually. It's an easy job. You can do it without removing the fairing. You'll have to pull off the fork shrouds and gauge cluster to take off the bars (but you don't have to disconnect anything) so you can get to the cap nuts. You'll need a 1 3/8" socket to open those. That and an adapter to fit it to a 3/8" ratchet (presuming you don't have a 3/4" ratchet) should run you about $12-15 at Sears. The rest can be done with standard tools.

When you go to remove the front fender there is a plate installed across the two nuts on the insides. You'll have to bend back the corners of the plate before you can open the nuts. They are bent up along the sides of the nuts to stop them from coming loose.

I'm installing the monotubes when I put it all back together, once the powdercoat is done. From what I've read they greatly improve the handling and ride quality.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Surlyboy, is it fairly simple to change to bars if I'm only doing 10"?? I decided to drop the bike off at the shop to get the forks swapped out. Should I pay an extra $100 or so bucks and let him swap the bars too while he's at it or just get the forks done and do the bars myself later??

When you say remove the guage cluster, do you mean pull off the inner fairing??

Thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
Surlyboy, is it fairly simple to change to bars if I'm only doing 10"?? I decided to drop the bike off at the shop to get the forks swapped out. Should I pay an extra $100 or so bucks and let him swap the bars too while he's at it or just get the forks done and do the bars myself later??

When you say remove the guage cluster, do you mean pull off the inner fairing??

Thanks
If you're having a shop do the work then $100 to swap the bars is no big deal.

You don't have to remove the inner fairing to take off the bars. The gauge pod or cluster is where the speedo and tach are located. A coup,e of screws and pop off the key switch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts