Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I were on a ride today and at a stop sign we heard a bang and down the suspension went. Right rear shock blew out, I assume. Got off and oil coming out of shock.

We are not light weights but not huge either. I am 250 and the wife is about 150. We run 120# 2 up.

Has anyone else had this happen? I am on verge of abandoning the Monroes and going to some Progressive 444's.

I just put these on over winter and only have around 1000 miles on them.

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts
You'd have to weigh a whole lot more for your weight to be a factor, the shocks are made for cars. What is the max psi rating of the shocks? Glad it happened while you were stopped and didn't result in any injury.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I've read of a few people having this problem. That sucks. One guy on chopped baggers broke a shock at the weld.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I hit a big dip with my bike loaded and my wife on board. My Viair pressure gauge broke but didn't leak any air. It peaked to 220psi then went limp.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Glad you guys didnt get hurt but I doubt its a weight issue. These monroes are designed for cars which are a lot heavier than you and your wife. It is possible you got a bad shock

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew it wasn't our weight but I am very disappointed with the shock. We are going on a 4 day trip over the 4th and it makes me a little worried. I am going to change shocks and go with Progressive 944's. I think.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Go to your local auto parts store and see if they have them in stock. Monroe is a popular shock brand and some stores may stock them or can at least get them

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I've been through two sets that have sprung a leak around the top bolt eye. Just ordered my 3rd. If these don't last I'm going Gabriel's. If they don't last, I'm doing away with air all together.

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts
This kind of reminds me why I did away with air shocks back when I was a lot younger, I had a 71 Firebird with G60 tires in the rear and had the rear end "jacked up" I went through a few different sets of shocks, thankfully I had bought them at Sears and they replaced them for free. .........

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have you considered an air shock actually made for your blke? I've done the Monroes and will never do them again. They rode fine but introduced a wobble in curves that was never there with stock shock or the progressive 440's I had before. I've since gone to a set of Arnott Bilstein and have resolved the handling issues. I'm running air in front as well. Handles as good as stock to me?

Zach

1 - 11 of 11 Posts