Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a pbr300x4 that was running 4 polk dxi650 speakers. I blew the tweeters in 2 of the speakers and went ahead and replaced them with the same dxi. during my sturgis trip last year, the amp seemed to get hot and the volume would fluctuate.

This year I changed out the head unit to a sony and decided to add a second amp so the they would not have to work so hard. I installed a pbr300x2 that was running my dxi650 speakers in my lowers. blew one of the speakers the other day and i was thinking about switching to the mm650. looks like the dxi were only rated at 60w and the mm are rated at 100w with better sensitivity.

i have not seen any other speakers that compared to the mm for the price, but i don't want to be replacing speakers every 6 months either.

maybe i am just expecting too much from the lower speakers on the highway?

any opinions?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I did the same thing with my Polks also. I turn down the volume a little bit haven't had another problem. If I remember I also turned down the gain on my PBR 300x4 a little. Been over a year now on the second set. First pair of Polks didn't last very long.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
588 Posts
I run four MM6501 in my car, which is just the component version of what you are looking for. Had them for 3 years and I have 125 watts running to each. I pound them things all day with no issues. The MM is Polks top of the line stuff, and they are built to last. Just look at the cone and surround materials and you can see the difference. The dxi series is their entry level cheap stuff.

Go with the MM you will be happy.

·
Super Moderator
12,430 Posts
I have MM691's (the 6x9) version in my saddlebags, they were being powered by a RF 300x2, no problems yet. After next week they will be recieving power from a HW CS300, so technically the same power, I've only had them a few months, but the MM651's I had in my fairing before I switched over to Focal served me well, and I've also installed them in friends bikes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have two pbr300x2 pushing four mm651s, I noticed on my last trip the pair in the fairing begin to cut out. I just pulled the fairing off and the tweet does not work on the left speaker and the right speaker just barely puts out any sound. I noticed as I was trying to trouble shoot that the amp pushing these speakers was beginning to get hot. I runthegain on both Amps at 5 and HP.

Wesley

1 - 6 of 6 Posts