Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone planning or have an interest in a Blue Ridge Parkway / Skyline Drive trip? I am interested in running from Western NC up to Northern VA and back sometime soon.

Maybe we could start and end at Tail of the Dragon. How about it?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I try to ride all of the Blue Ridge every year but due to work and weather usually only get part of it done. I hope to do it all the next couple months including Skyline Drive but not sure when.

IMHO it's much nicer if you do it north to south. It gets prettier and prettier as you go south and the elevation increases. When you get south of Boone, North Carolina the tunnels start and you get into some of the prettiest riding. Grandfather Mountain, Mt. Mitchell, the Lynn Cove Viaduct etc.. Also if you're going north to south if you get to the south end with time to spare theres all kind of good riding to do. Maggie Valley, Deals Gap, the Dragon, Cherahola Skyway, Moonshiner 28 and on and on.

Now don't get me wrong the whole ride is pretty and a good ride but south to north after you get past Boone going north it doesn't seem as good because you've seen the best already. It's kind of like the Grand Canyon, it's an amazing sight regardless but it's much more impressive if you run across I-40 to see it. If you come down through Colorado and Utah, while you're still impressed it doesn't blow your skirt up like it would coming from the other way because of what you've just seen.

Now I know what you're thinking, 'but I'm coming from Jacksonville'. Well there's great riding getting to the north end in Virginia and West Virginia. Hell slabbin' it through there ain't even that bad its so pretty.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I could be easily persuaded depending on your dates.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wife and I will be in Gatlinburg Tn June19-22, Tail of the Dragon is on the to do list, may blast up 81 north early one morning the ride Blue Ridge back to the resort. So much great riding to do in that area difficult deciding which way to go next

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looking out the window of the mountain cabin outside of Gatlinburg as we speak. Rode solo on the eastern segment of the Foothills Parkway and out 441 to Newfound Gap Overlook yesterday. Taking the wife back across 441 to Newfound, Clingman's Dome, and on to Cherokee and the Blueridge Parkway today. She'll then decide if she's tagging along for the Dragon and Cherohoula tomorrow. Weather is gorgeous and traffic is relatively light.

Agree that it is hard to decide where to ride with so many great options. Picked up a set of America Rides Maps and that helps a lot. I was surprised to see so many great rides within 10 minutes of where we're staying. Roads you'd never know about unless you just stumbled across them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I will be up that way this weekend. Riding the parkway and camping out as I go. Then Headed up to Deals Gap July 25-27. If yall want to get together let me know.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I will be up that way this weekend. Riding the parkway and camping out as I go. Then Headed up to Deals Gap July 25-27. If yall want to get together let me know.
I'm supposed to go on a guys only trip down to Robbinsville the same dates. My stepson who is stationed in KS just told us yesterday that him and the little lady he brought home earlier this month are getting married shortly. Might kill my plans for that trip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts