Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am planning a trip this June to ride the Blue Ridge Pkwy. in Virginia and North Carolina.

My concern is that the speed limit is only 45 mph, and the parkway is over 400 miles long. I know this road is very scenic and has lots of twists and turns but I am thinking riding that far at such slow speeds might get old after just a couple hundred miles.

Any feedback from those who have done this ride would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
If you live in TN or near and have taken that road several times maybe it would get old, but everyone should ride it at least once. Nice winding road with nice scenery, better then riding on straight highway at 75-85 mph. Just make sure you go before or after all the summer tourists with RV's.

·
Registered
406 Posts
be patient, watch out for all the traffic, and enjoy the view..even though the speed limit is only 45, even 35 in sections where there are some attractions, there are lots of motorcycle crashes on the parkway.

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
Whats the hurry ??

Slow down and enjoy the scenery , go fast and ya miss it all ..

We did a 400 mile trip last year on back roads , a six hour trip on the slab took twelve and we had a blast and were much more relaxed and less tired at the end of the day ..

June ? May see you there .

JtB

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I am heading down the Blue Ridge Parkway on my way way to shark week. Like Jack said just enjoy the ride and plan your timing around the 45 mph speed limit. You won't rack up the miles as fast, but you should still enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I did the entire length of the BRP and the 45 mph speed limit was just right, at that speed you can enjoy the ride and the scenery too!
A word of CAUTION Watch Out for the those guys cutting the grass on the shoulders of the road, the mowing equipment can take up most of the lane you're riding in.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I did the entire length of the BRP and the 45 mph speed limit was just right, at that speed you can enjoy the ride and the scenery too!
A word of CAUTION Watch Out for the those guys cutting the grass on the shoulders of the road, the mowing equipment can take up most of the lane you're riding in.
yes I forgot about that, they are always cutting the grass along the road somewhere .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you live in TN or near and have taken that road several times maybe it would get old, but everyone should ride it at least once. Nice winding road with nice scenery, better then riding on straight highway at 75-85 mph. Just make sure you go before or after all the summer tourists with RV's.
This will be my first time riding on the parkway. I will have a 600 mile ride to the north entrance, so I will have plenty of time on the super slab at high speeds, which I do enjoy.

I will also be riding several other two lane scenic highways through West Virginia and Ohio for a total of 2200 miles on this trip.

Thanks for all the feedback, I am looking forward to another great adventure on my road glide.

·
Registered
512 Posts
We loved the BRP! Last September did a 5200 mile trip through the Smokies, the Trace and Ozarks. Loved the Natches Trace and BRP. Fast? Nope! But both were fantastic rides with great scenery and historic purpose.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
you will love it , nice roads , great scenery and it usually is cool on it even in the summer

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
.....and 45 isn't that slow on parts of it. Set your cruise on 45-50 and if you're not paying attention you could wind up in the weeds :eek: The speed is 45, some curves you shouldn't be going over 45, not a lot maybe but some, none are marked it's 45 all the way :) It's not as boring as you might expect and anytime you feel the need for speed just drop off any connecting road and haul ass for the ride of your life, especially the further south you go(you'll have to jump off for gas and stuff anyway). You continually gain elevation the further south you go and while the whole ride is pretty it really gets nice south of Boone. Thats where the tunnels start, the Linn Cove Viaduct, Grandfather Mountain and on and on.

Boone BTW is good place to stay overnight. It's a college town with a cool downtown and lots of hotels and restaurants.

Further to the south the speed drops to 35 for some stretches, not because the curves are worse or anything its because the area gets real congested with pedestrians during certain times.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=873

·
Registered
151 Posts
The wife and I rode the BRP last year. I planed a 3 day ride doing it with her. Well there are many things to do and see, she found the map that tells you what there is at every mile marker. Three days we barely made it 100 miles before we had to head back home. Don't worry about speed just enjoy the ride.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good info on the Parkway....so a question I have is; how long should someone plan to?
I'm planning 3 days down to Robbinsville, TN, leaving from Waynesboro, VA
2 days to come back to Waynesboro.

Thinking on the way down stopping a couple times a day, not so much on the way back.

3 days enough?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Are you just going to ride it, or are you going to see the sights on the way?

If you plan well, you can get gas within a mile off some exits. As far as 20 miles off other exits.

I have done the entire length one way in two days no problem. But, you should stop at some of the sights like peaks of otter, Grandfather mountain, mount Mitchell, Ashville, Little Switzerland side roads, etc.

Also, deer are around in numbers at dusk and dawn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Twowheel
Yes, we plan on stopping at some places along the way.
My schedule looks like this:

Day 1 - Waynesboro, VA to Boone, NC ( I heard there is not much to see on the Northern end)
Day 2 - Boone to Asheville
Day 3 - Ashville to Robbinsville
Day 4 - Robbinsville to Asheville (via Tail of the Dragon)
Day 5 - Asheville to Roanoke, VA
Day 6 - Roanoake to Waynesboro

I plan of trailering to Waynesboro. Hate the asphalt drive through major cities leaving New England.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I see someone mentioned deer and lots of them, be alert, although they seem to be used to loud noises, but.... Also no one mentioned LEO. From my experience, the BRP is patrolled well. I have been warned a couple of times, but not going fast enough for a ticket. Enjoy, it is a great ride, very scenic and not very dangerous at 45.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts