Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, beautiful fall day for a ride here in New England. Sunny, in the 80's, leaves starting to show some beautiful colors. After a couple hundred miles, while descending a large hill, my son in law tells me he see's blue smoke puff out of my right side exhaust pipe. This has me a little concerned. Bike ('13 ultra) has run excellent, never beat on, just under 7K on the clock. Oil level good, no oily soot in tailpipe. Plugs also look good. Just a fluke or the beginning of a potential problem. Still got a few months left on warranty. What else might I lean towards, or just don't give it a 2nd thought.

·
Registered
809 Posts
So, beautiful fall day for a ride here in New England. Sunny, in the 80's, leaves starting to show some beautiful colors. After a couple hundred miles, while descending a large hill, my son in law tells me he see's blue smoke puff out of my right side exhaust pipe. This has me a little concerned. Bike ('13 ultra) has run excellent, never beat on, just under 7K on the clock. Oil level good, no oily soot in tailpipe. Plugs also look good. Just a fluke or the beginning of a potential problem. Still got a few months left on warranty. What else might I lean towards, or just don't give it a 2nd thought.
Could have been an oil bugger going down the intake if your head breathers are routed to the backing plate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine is starting to do that too according those that follow me. I'm at 18,000 miles. Tried an oil/filter change even though I do both at 3500 miles and Amsoil 20/50 & HD filters but it still smokes when hot.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The problem you are describing is usually associated with leaking valve seals. When descending a hill your throttle is closed for an extended period of time with engine RPM's usually at or above 2500. This causes a very high vacuum in the engine and will pull oil around the valve seals and into the combustion chamber.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts