Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after tons of searching and reading unless I'm willing to sacrifice one or the other; blue tooth or water proof I'm going to have to get a zumo 660 or 665 for around best $600. Then the no BT with the zume 550 around $350ish. Also the nuvi is lower it seems but not water proof. And since its not water proof I'm guessing its not made really to be viewed outside a vehicle and might have some screen glare. Any other manufacture make a decent water proof? Also all my pricing is eBay based.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
IMO...
buy a non waterproof one from best buy and pay the 30 bucks for a 3year protection plan (at the end of the 3yrs renew for 2 more for 15 bucks). Covers everything from running it over to getting it wet.

Do your best at keeping it dry (zip lock baggie) and if it gets wet .... take it back to best buy and get a new one.

@160 bucks total investment working GPS for 5 years.

D.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1.. That what I do... When it starts raining, pull it off & store it..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Well you both have great points and I'm leaning that way. However pulling off and storing is somewhat counter productive on a trip when you need it to know where to go isnt it? And how easily is it to see with a bag covering it? Seriously I want to know ? Is that a issue?

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I use the iron ace mount. I don't use a bag. If it rains, I just snap it out & put it in my glove box or jacket pocket. The few times when I use the GPS, I already have an idea of where I'm going, plus the Bluetooth work through my Headset, so I still can hear the the turn by turn directions while its stored away.. It's just another options, but it has it may have some draw back for some people..

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
I use the iron ace mount. I don't use a bag. If it rains, I just snap it out & put it in my glove box or jacket pocket. The few times when I use the GPS, I already have an idea of where I'm going, plus the Bluetooth work through my Headset, so I still can hear the the turn by turn directions while its stored away.. It's just another options, but it has it may have some draw back for some people..

same here.

A few times I left it out with a baggie over it and it was fine. Considering its usually dark when it rains you can see the screen pretty dam good.

I have mine mounted in the air temp gauge spot so its pretty well protected by the windshield, the baggie comes out only when it rains hard AND i need the turn by turn.

Did 7k miles this summer to SW3 and back and zero issues. Very happy with the setup.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a good deal on a 665. It has all the options and best reviews. It's not the Harley one but just a standard 665 with xm. Now how does it interface with the hk head unit or does it not? Wasn't sure if I needed a special Harley adapter for that portion. Be nice if the XM could be heard on the head unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts