Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a 2015 road glide with less than 5000. miles and the whole exhaust is blue and he said after riding for any time at night it glows red. Deal said nothing is wrong that they can find. Anyone seen this be fore on a new bike? Bike is Un touched.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am in the process of upgrading the intake and exhaust for my 2015 RGS. The first thing I bought was the V&H Fuelpak FP3 from Drew at Hogpro (sponsor). After I installed it I loaded the stock MAP. i was going to auto tune from there to see if I could improve performance without changing any parts. I called V&H support and was told that the Bikes come out of the factory lean and hot. They suggested that I run the bike for a tank of gas and it will settle in and provide improved performance. No need to auto tune. Well, I took it for a ride and I could immediately noticed better response, sound and less heat. I now personally believe that even if you do not plan on upgrading your exhaust you sould add a FP3 and load the stock MAP. You may be able to avoid the situation explained above.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Pretty much what Jhl192 said. Bikes come EPA compliant with AFR so lean the head pipes turn blue from heat. Do you and the bike a favor and get a tuner. I hear the FP3 is an excellent choice. Easy to use and Bluetooth MAP downloads.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kind of fill bad for him because I talked him into buying the bike and he has had nothing but problems with it. I have told him the same but he thinks it is BS and the stealer should do something for him. The whole head pipe and the right side muffler are very blue. They tell him everything checks out good and all the bikes do it but they have never seen one as bad as his. I thin my 2011 RG will be my last Harley if they are going to pull BS like this. If it was me I would be in jail.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Besides a FuelPak FP3 I would suggest a a Rush high output performance header. (7017HO) . It is a ceramic coated header inside and out with no catalytic converter and high quality shields. They claim it runs 300 to 400 degrees cooler than the stock pipes. The catalytic converter collects a great deal of heat. Not much to do about the blued pipes on the stock pipes at this point. Are the shields blue too?.

·
Registered
215 Posts
That grinds my gears as well. You pay the dealer for the catalytic converter, and then you pay again to have it removed. Arrggg

·
Registered
249 Posts
A 2015I think if the Bluing is as severe as you describe I would find another dealer to have it checked and a quick call or letter to the MOCO politely describing the issue. I can see a few inches of head pipe but not all the way to the mufflers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exhaust

That is what I told him to do.
A 2015I think if the Bluing is as severe as you describe I would find another dealer to have it checked and a quick call or letter to the MOCO politely describing the issue. I can see a few inches of head pipe but not all the way to the mufflers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That grinds my gears as well. You pay the dealer for the catalytic converter, and then you pay again to have it removed. Arrggg
That is the way it has been since the MOCO was forced to include
Catalytic converters in their bikes. If your pipes are blued now can you imagine the heat on his legs when the summer rolls around again. These bikes are notorious for the heat Above the CAT. That is why I am going to replace my header with open headers and others just get the catalytic converter cut out. I am coming from a Sportster 1200 Custom so I look at it as the cost of admission. This bike is great to ride. A new windshield and better intake and exhaust and you are good to go. The rest is icing on the cake.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's not normal. Have him take it to another dealer. If it was normal everybody would be screaming bloody murder and buying Indians instead.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
What you describe is not normal to say the least. There is a definite problem with the tune and it sounds like the dealer is giving you the same old "it's normal" line of shit.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That is the way it has been since the MOCO was forced to include
Catalytic converters in their bikes. If your pipes are blued now can you imagine the heat on his legs when the summer rolls around again. These bikes are notorious for the heat Above the CAT. That is why I am going to replace my header with open headers and others just get the catalytic converter cut out. I am coming from a Sportster 1200 Custom so I look at it as the cost of admission. This bike is great to ride. A new windshield and better intake and exhaust and you are good to go. The rest is icing on the cake.
Agree, heat from my 110 above the cat gave my wife 2nd degree burns, her fault flip,flops and shorts still, those blue exhaust says the heat at the cat is near or over 1000 degrees? Some engineer chime in but I am sure it's damn hot.
I swapped the head pipes out too. Change in temp is mind boggeling.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I just removed the header from my 2016 RGU. You can compare it to how yours looks . It has 4000 miles on it. It does not take long for header pipes to look nasty.
That is why the have nice heat shields over them. Unlike BMW that does not even try to hide them.
If you have not mess with anything unlikely it is running to lean.
The sky is falling is the HD chat panic is the norm. You must go out and spent a
$1000 dollars on after market stuff to save your bike. Seldom real. I hope these put your mind at rest and allow you to take time and think about how you want to proceed. Sense the first TC engine many have been telling me my Harleys would melt down never happened yet.
These are off a wet head so the exhaust temps are some what lower but not much.
The camera does not show really how blue they are. These do not look any different than every header, I have removed.
CAT works by getting HOT . Save me some typing watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXchXMVteyk

Good luck and when you figure out if you want to make some changes check out Fuel moto get it right the first time

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just removed the header from my 2016 RGU. You can compare it to how yours looks . It has 4000 miles on it. It does not take long for header pipes to look nasty.
That is why the have nice heat shields over them. Unlike BMW that does not even try to hide them.
If you have not mess with anything unlikely it is running to lean.
The sky is falling is the HD chat panic is the norm. You must go out and spent a
$1000 dollars on after market stuff to save your bike. Seldom real. I hope these put your mind at rest and allow you to take time and think about how you want to proceed. Sense the first TC engine many have been telling me my Harleys would melt down never happened yet.
These are off a wet head so the exhaust temps are some what lower but not much.
The camera does not show really how blue they are. These do not look any different than every header, I have removed.
CAT works by getting HOT . Save me some typing watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXchXMVteyk

Good luck and when you figure out if you want to make some changes check out Fuel moto get it right the first time
OP says even the right muffler s blue, that to me is a concern, most headers come with shields a lot of the mufflers don't. Even the old days running dirt bikes and old 70's era jap bikes not used to seeing blued mufflers.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
OP says even the right muffler s blue, that to me is a concern, most headers come with shields a lot of the mufflers don't. Even the old days running dirt bikes and old 70's era jap bikes not used to seeing blued mufflers.
If the muffler was Blue the bike would be toast by now and the dealer would have taken action.
If you have not noticed people tend to go a bit over board when it come to stuff like this and Harleys.
I have seen this post before on other forums almost word for word.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If the muffler was Blue the bike would be toast by now and the dealer would have taken action.
If you have not noticed people tend to go a bit over board when it come to stuff like this and Harleys.
I have seen this post before on other forums almost word for word.
Agreed, not a big forum follower, this is only bike forum I follow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know what makes them blue I was just seeing if anyone else was having the same problem. Yes the right muffler is blue about 4" from where it slides on the heab pipe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts