Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Weird.

While in between jobs in June 2014 I crashed my 05 Ultra while towing a Roll-a-Home camper and survived. My rear tire blew out near Gallup New Mexico. I had new tires installed by an "indy" mechanic before I left. I was heading to Page AZ for some site seeing.

After awhile I had the urge to ride again. Manufactured (HD) trikes were too expensive and I'm still good on two legs so I bought a new HD Road Glide Special last June 2015. Got a good end of the year deal.

Good to be on a bike again.

I find myself in between jobs again but with a short layoff of a month or so. So, I want to camp the Blueridge highway while I'm off. The trailer is in Texas with some minor damage so I'll have to rough it with my tent and cot. I did purchase a detachable "trunk" for the Road Glide. I wanted to do that with my Ultra.

I live in Southern Maryland and plan on riding down the road around April 1st.

Please give me all of your Blueridge camping experience and recommendations.

See ya!

David R.

·
Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
1,122 Posts
Good for you -- I have NO camping experience on BRP - but - I have ridden Skyline Dr to BRP. Will u be starting in Front Royal VA to enter the Skyline DR? If So - that Park has excellent info and staff for camping along there -- DOOF

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I have no camping experience on the Blue Ridge either but if you enter early on Skyline Drive and head south I doubt you'd camp there it's only about 126 miles long. Watch for bears though.

As far as the whole trip itself if you have a choice go north to south. While the whole Parkway is pretty you'll appreciate it more going north to south as the elevation increases the ride gets prettier. There's no gas and few amenities on the parkway either but there are close. The welcome centers have information about whats available at each exit and how far it is to them.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Most of the campgrounds on the BRP are dry. There are bathrooms, but no showers. At elevation it is still going to be cold. There are some state parks not too far off the BRP, and some Motorcycle friendly campgrounds. Free standing tent is a must at many locations.

Check out Mount Mitchel State Park, NC, and Blowing Rock, NC for weather for casts at elevation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts