Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday on my way home my bag fell off on the freeway in rush hour Memorial Day weekend traffic. Just my luck lately. I have it secured with bolts but they apparently back out thus the bag fell off. I was able to retrieve it and was luck the person it landed in front of stopped in the traffic that was barely moving.

I noticed as there was an extremely loud thud that sounded like the bass from a boom boom stereo, only deeper. The bag as locked thus it did not come open and I was able to put it back on in the center median at which time I checked the bolts on the other side as well and tightened them up.

I have had a ,lot of bad luck lately but am glad I got the bag back as it had my tool roll, jacket, and other various stuff in it that I use daily.

IF ANYONE HAS CANDY ORANGE BAGS AND WENT TO STRETCHED, I NEED YOUR RIGHT SIDE (EXHAUST SIDE) BAG AND LID. IF YOU HAVE HARDWARE I'LL TAKE THAT, IF NOT I'LL USE MINE. I HAVE AN EXTRA LATCH HERE. PLEASE PM OR CALL ME AT THE SHOP (818)886-6545.

I spend too much time keeping my bike pristine to deal with this for too long and getting it repainted will cost at least as much as a new bag. At least this is the bag that was already repainted once and did not come close to matching. That is the only saving grace here.

If you are running with bolts check them regularly. My bag was last off when I put new slip on's on the bike, probably about 3 months ago. I'll check when I return to work.

I know someone has the bag I need. I'll post a few pics tomorrow.

Drew

· Registered
809 Posts
You need to drill the bolt and put a small pin in it or use a jam nut. For me the pin is easier to use if you take your bags off much. I have watched the bolts in my RK start backing out from it idling.

· Registered
11 Posts
Are you guys using bolts for security of bag falling of or security from theft?

· Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I need to do is check them once a week. New item added to the check list. I am thinking the weight of the tool roll and other stuff in the bag probably contributed. Regardless. who has a bag for me? When my bags were stolen I think it was $750 a bag from Horny Toad. Lost one of my jobs 2 months ago so the budget has shifted a bit here.

Drew

· Premium Member
7,792 Posts
That is why you stick with the stock pins they work ,hold and do not fail.
The bolts and aftermarket hype to sell a product to fix a problem that does not exist .
Hit a deer at 60mph destroyed the bag but count on it pins held just fine in fact were still in place.

· Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,525 Posts
That is why you stick with the stock pins they work ,hold and do not fail.
The bolts and aftermarket hype to sell a product to fix a problem that does not exist .
Hit a deer at 60mph destroyed the bag but count on it pins held just fine in fact were still in place.

Some do work just fine Smitty but a lot do not. There seems to be a whole rash of bags falling off with the new bikes especially. Plus the bolts do make it harder to steal. I personally know 3 people with 2014-15 touring bikes that have had a bag fall off. All had the stock pins.

· Registered
537 Posts
I use the screws on my bags. I use a flat washer and a lock washer and snug them pretty tight. I have never had a problem with them loosing up on me. When I went out to my bike one day with a long thin flat blade screwdriver and had my locked bags with the stock pins secured tightened off in less than ten seconds on my first try that was the day I went to the hardware store and got the parts to switch to the screw set up. Spent less than $5 on this and now I feel better when I can't see the bike.
Good luck getting the bag you need in a hurry Drew.

· Registered
6,713 Posts
I have a set of extra bags and will pm you tonight with details.
Seems we never did see pix of those bags you won at SW IV :rolleyes: :D

Sorry to hear about it Drew. I guess one saving grace of having a CVO with power locks is the electronic tether that goes to the locks. I switched to the knob/clip setup on this bike and check them on a regular basis.

· Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,636 Posts
I use the screws on my bags. I use a flat washer and a lock washer and snug them pretty tight. I have never had a problem with them loosing up on me. When I went out to my bike one day with a long thin flat blade screwdriver and had my locked bags with the stock pins secured tightened off in less than ten seconds on my first try that was the day I went to the hardware store and got the parts to switch to the screw set up. Spent less than $5 on this and now I feel better when I can't see the bike.
Good luck getting the bag you need in a hurry Drew.
Ditto.

And, yes. I do it for security. Never had an issue yet, but I do check the screws frequently. Sorry about your misfortune(s), Drew.

· Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use two bolts, but this is really more of a warning to keep them tight. I'm alwyas the guy that has this happen.

Waiting on bag pricing from BoxerCop. Hopefully this works out well.

Drew

· Registered
318 Posts
funny how thing work sometimes. I decided to put bag rails on my bags. Black. Two days later laid bike down doing about 3.5 miles per hour. Rail took all the scratches. saved getting saddle bag replaced/painted.spray can covered it back up. But bags wont fall off either now.

· Registered
329 Posts
funny how thing work sometimes. I decided to put bag rails on my bags. Black. Two days later laid bike down doing about 3.5 miles per hour. Rail took all the scratches. saved getting saddle bag replaced/painted.spray can covered it back up. But bags wont fall off either now.
Pics of your bag rails, please. I just came back from some often very high speed/high vibration 6-day ride through four states in the southwest...and my bags were filled to the brim with 6-days worth of clothing, road-trip tools, etc. Fortunately my bags held tight. Still....I worry about these bags falling off stories. I'm not shy about using the rails if I had to. Black, of course ;)

· Registered
1,477 Posts
its pretty ridiculous that HD doesn't put the bag rails on the ultras, like they do with the batwings, I got very used to holding the rail while I was on long distance rides on my other bike.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.