Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to take delivery of my new 2012 RG Custom with the 103. I'm wondering what I should expect the stock engine setup to put out to the rear wheel! I know it will be a tough pill to swallow since this is my first HD and I'm used to big metric bikes like 1800 Hondas and M109R Suzuki's. Im afraid its Gonna cost a lot to get the Glide up to those power levels.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Getting ready to take delivery of my new 2012 RG Custom with the 103. I'm wondering what I should expect the stock engine setup to put out to the rear wheel! I know it will be a tough pill to swallow since this is my first HD and I'm used to big metric bikes like 1800 Hondas and M109R Suzuki's. Im afraid its Gonna cost a lot to get the Glide up to those power levels.
~85 ft/lbs at the rear wheel and just under 70 hp.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Add a stage 1 parts (air cleaner, exhaust and tuner) and get a good tune, and you'll be pretty close to M109 power levels (I still ride w/ M109 buddies, and they are suprised that they can shake me ;))

·
Registered
70 Posts
See the dyno charts for a stock 103 and also for upgrades in engine builds forum. Thread labeled Andrews 48H.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
~85 ft/lbs at the rear wheel and just under 70 hp.
That's actually a little better right out of the box than I thought it might be! Still though, for an 800 lb bike, it's not going to strain my neck is it!

What does that translate to at the crank?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
That's actually a little better right out of the box than I thought it might be! Still though, for an 800 lb bike, it's not going to strain my neck is it!

What does that translate to at the crank?
I think they say 102 ft/lbs not sure hp. No in stock form they will not cause you to be looking for longer shirt sleeves. They do have a nice feel tho with torque down low right off idle. I cam from sportbikes and I it did not take me long to start enjoying harleys for what they are.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
My 2011 103 is stock. It's the first bike in 47yrs of ridin I didn't do engine mods. I plan on leaving it stock. You can get some great info from the guys on this site. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Welcome! The RGC is a wonderful down payment on mods!! Get a good 2/1 exhaust, if the look works for u, a/c kit and a good custom tune. This will satisfy you for the year and let you get to know the bike and how you ride it. Next winter you can start your cam and headwork studies. :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
you must have decided it was time for another style of bike and as with all Harley models the 103 has plenty of power to move you and the bike down the highway with all your gear and in 6th gear cruising at 3000rpm you will be above the speedlimits of most if not all highways in the US. Of course we all want more power and there are so many mods available to you...like they say "it costs money to go fast; so how fast can you aford to go"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Once you put a nice sounding pipe or slip ons on there, turn on the radio, get on the highway and turn on the cruise control, you will forget all about the 109s and 1800's, not even a comparison and then you factor in the air suspension .... You are going to wonder why you didn't switch over faster.

·
Registered
205 Posts
2012 RGU bone stock

5400 miles on bike. Fluids all screaming eagle since 1k. Last done at 5000. Made 73hp 93tq dyno in profile if you wanna see the curve.

·
Registered
349 Posts
i cant believe the numbers are that low. i mean i have a 95'' with 5speed.
with 106 hp. and 112tq. but my 103 stock runs with it all day! cant wait to get a cam and pipe on this thing

·
Registered
304 Posts
I went to the track with a guy my buddy is friends with that has a bone stock
M109r. He was running 12.2 1/4 miles. Fast bike, on par with the v-rod.

If you're looking for that kind of power and dont mind straying from the twin cam build a V-rod bagger!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
with 106 hp. and 112tq. but my 103 stock runs with it all day! cant wait to get a cam and pipe on this thing
If your STOCK 103 will perform as well as a 106hp -112tq 95" motor, you must have got that experimental engine that everyone keeps telling me about.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Add a stage 1 parts (air cleaner, exhaust and tuner) and get a good tune, and you'll be pretty close to M109 power levels (I still ride w/ M109 buddies, and they are suprised that they can shake me ;))
Heading to dealer today to find out what's wrong with my RGU!!!
I have everything you mentioned plus SERT and SE 255's. I just sold my M109 this spring and there is no way my RGU would even be close to keeping up with the Suzki. Heck it would run away from my 10 GW like I was dragging an anchor. I feel my RGU with current mods runs really strong but not in the same league with the 109. Maybe I just had a real strong 109. Just saying.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Heading to dealer today to find out what's wrong with my RGU!!!
I have everything you mentioned plus SERT and SE 255's. I just sold my M109 this spring and there is no way my RGU would even be close to keeping up with the Suzki. Heck it would run away from my 10 GW like I was dragging an anchor. I feel my RGU with current mods runs really strong but not in the same league with the 109. Maybe I just had a real strong 109. Just saying.
Did you say DEALER? That may be your problem. The average DEALER puts in a canned tune that may be the closest thing they have to your setup and then puts it on the dyno for a run.

Unless you have a DEALER with extensive tuning experience and not under time pressure on the dyno you probably won't get the same results you would from an experienced tuner.

I hope your place fixes you up!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Honestly I thought the mumbers were ok for stock. Most are in the upper 60hp range. I just think its higher as its has over 5000miles. Always thought a motor as is breaks in makes better power due to less friction. Hope to due exhust work a SE cleaner and TT tuner over winter

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Honestly I thought the mumbers were ok for stock. Most are in the upper 60hp range. I just think its higher as its has over 5000miles. Always thought a motor as is breaks in makes better power due to less friction. Hope to due exhust work a SE cleaner and TT tuner over winter
those are great numbers for stock in fact the best I have seen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts