Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any parts powdercoated to color match to the Bonneville Salt Pearl? I received a couple samples from NIC Industries(Prismatic Powders). Neither were a close enough match for my taste. They were willing to do a custom color if I sent them a painted piece off my bike but that process was way too expensive. I put a detachable tour pak on my 2018 RGS and I want to powdercoat the latch and hinges. The other option is to have the latch and hinges de-chromed and then painted. If that is the route I have to take, anyone know where to get chrome pieces de-chromed?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Not many places to get stuff de-chromed. Most of the powder shops I know in my area use an abrasive kind of like sand blasting. Problem is if the metal is soft under the chrome the finish may pit. The paint shops use self etching primer most of the time from what I have seen.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Get a set of black hinges and latch. Then paint them to match. Sell off your chrome ones.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: smitty901

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Get a set of black hinges and latch. Then paint them to match. Sell off your chrome ones.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This is gonna be your best bet or get them painted....the latch covers on your saddle bags are painted.

You're probably not gonna be able to get the latch powder coated. 1. I'm not 100% sure you can take the latch apart and 2. there are small plastic parts in the latch so the part won't be able to be baked.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. So the black hinges are painted? I thought they were powdercoated. So it's just a matter of prepping and repainting the black ones with the Bonneville Salt Pearl?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Thanks for the responses. So the black hinges are painted? I thought they were powdercoated. So it's just a matter of prepping and repainting the black ones with the Bonneville Salt Pearl?

The black ones from HD are powder coated (before the are put together), but you probably won't be able to powder the chrome ones you already have is what I meant. I've seen them painted on peoples tour pak's before but I'm not sure how they did it. That the reason I just swapped all my hinges to black. Both on my tour pak and the ones on my saddle bags.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The black ones from HD are powder coated (before the are put together), but you probably won't be able to powder the chrome ones you already have is what I meant. I've seen them painted on peoples tour pak's before but I'm not sure how they did it. That the reason I just swapped all my hinges to black. Both on my tour pak and the ones on my saddle bags.

Your latches look great. Exactly the look I'm going for except in white. Powdercoating company said they could do it but the samples they sent me that was what they say they use to match Bonneville Salt Pearl didn't match when I held them next to the paint on the bike. The local bike painter with a great reputation said they could paint them with the exact match paint, but because of the moving parts of the latch and hinges they could not guarantee the paint would remain intact. I've seen pics on this forum of bikes that have color matched the latch and hinges. I was hoping to hear from someone that has done it successfully. I don't want to but I'll just order the black ones from the MOCO if I have to. I really dislike the chrome hinges on a blacked out bike.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I had my chrome latches on Tour pack and bags Hydro-dipped in Carbon fiber over a year ago and they are holding up well. The little piece that the trunk latch latches on to was powder coated black as the needs to be more durable... metal to metal contact

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my chrome latches on Tour pack and bags Hydro-dipped in Carbon fiber over a year ago and they are holding up well. The little piece that the trunk latch latches on to was powder coated black as the needs to be more durable... metal to metal contact
I'm assuming that the carbon fiber process can only be done in black?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Your latches look great. Exactly the look I'm going for except in white. Powdercoating company said they could do it but the samples they sent me that was what they say they use to match Bonneville Salt Pearl didn't match when I held them next to the paint on the bike. The local bike painter with a great reputation said they could paint them with the exact match paint, but because of the moving parts of the latch and hinges they could not guarantee the paint would remain intact. I've seen pics on this forum of bikes that have color matched the latch and hinges. I was hoping to hear from someone that has done it successfully. I don't want to but I'll just order the black ones from the MOCO if I have to. I really dislike the chrome hinges on a blacked out bike.
I'm guessing paint would be the best chance of getting them done body color. If you look at the latch there is a space at the top where you can see the are plastic parts inside that would keep you from powder coating them any way.....I already looked into it. The hinges come apart with a pin, but the latch is a different story. I left the latch catch that Riderduke was talking about chrome. It will wear better then powder coating and you can only see it when the box is open so no big deal.

Bottom line is I went with black because it was just an easier option. I will add this if you decide to go black just have your OE bag latches powder coated. I got an set of eBay because I wasn't sure if I wanted black one.....they were complete trash, super cheap. And I don't have the black refactors anymore either. They were garbage as well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm assuming that the carbon fiber process can only be done in black?
The grey color can be changed but he Hydro-dipped paint is black. I've seen him do RED under the black Hydro..
The carbon fiber looks really good but I'm trying to match the latch on the tour pak to the latch on my saddlebags that were coated at the factory Bonneville Salt Pearl.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Use PPG paint and they can do a perfect paint match.

I have powdered parts and painted parts and the are a perfect match and the paint has held up very well.

Good Luck

Swomack

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Use PPG paint and they can do a perfect paint match.

I have powdered parts and painted parts and the are a perfect match and the paint has held up very well.

Good Luck

Swomack
Did you actually have your latches or hinges painted or powder coated?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I spoke with the local Harley paint expert today. He said regarding the latches and hinge for my bike; he felt the cost of the three or four step process required to match the Bonneville Salt Pearl paint would be very expensive just for the paint. Put the labor for prep on top of that and he said in his opinion "it just isn't worth it." He said it could easily be $400 or $500 or more and he couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't peel over time because of the movement of the parts. I guess I'll have to just go with the black hinges and latches from the MOCO. Thanks everyone for your input!!!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I spoke with the local Harley paint expert today. He said regarding the latches and hinge for my bike; he felt the cost of the three or four step process required to match the Bonneville Salt Pearl paint would be very expensive just for the paint. Put the labor for prep on top of that and he said in his opinion "it just isn't worth it." He said it could easily be $400 or $500 or more and he couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't peel over time because of the movement of the parts. I guess I'll have to just go with the black hinges and latches from the MOCO. Thanks everyone for your input!!!
DAMN!!!!!!!!! That's crazy. I paid less then that to have a set of lowers and a king tour pak painted billiard blue...that's including me buying the Harley paint and hardener so I was sure it would match!!!!!. They will look good black. There is a guy who keeps posting pictures of his knock of tour pak (can't remember which one) and it has black hinges and latch and I think it looks good. Me personally, I think it looks better when the bag latch cover match and his don't.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DAMN!!!!!!!!! That's crazy. I paid less then that to have a set of lowers and a king tour pak painted billiard blue...that's including me buying the Harley paint and hardener so I was sure it would match!!!!!. They will look good black. There is a guy who keeps posting pictures of his knock of tour pak (can't remember which one) and it has black hinges and latch and I think it looks good. Me personally, I think it looks better when the bag latch cover match and his don't.
I've seen a Bonneville Salt Pearl RGS on the forum somewhere also with the black latch and hinges on the tour pak. I really didn't want to go that route because the saddlebags latches are color matched. I guess I'll have to buy black saddlebags latches as well...cha-ching, cha-ching!

·
Registered
76 Posts

Is this the chopped tour pack? I want to buy the tour pack for my Billiard Blue and have been curious how it will look.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts