Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I’m due to pick up my 2019 RGS this Saturday. I sent over the signed paperwork today to finalise the deal. No sooner had I emailed the paperwork, the Business Manager calls me and said that HD announced this morning for all new bikes they are giving you $1500 towards HD Products or take it off the price of the bike. Seeing as though I have already put a Stage II on it I decided to go with a backrest and other little add-one.

Who says you don’t get anything from the MOCO.

Dargle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For sure. I’m glad I have a great relationship with my Dealer as I wonder if someone else was in the same stage of purchase, would they have said anything.

Dargle

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
New scooters ship in less than 5 weeks, and dealers are still flush with 19's. So they need to move scooters out of the dealers.

$1500 off of current model year inventory is saying a lot about the state of the MoCo.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
$1500 off of current model year inventory is saying a lot about the state of the MoCo.
They do it every year about this time........with $5K-$6K profit margin in most bikes and $8K-$10K in CVOs.......taking a slightly less profit with $1500 off to help make their numbers to Wall Street in Volume is pretty much SOP for any publicly traded Co

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
They do it every year about this time........with $5K-$6K profit margin in most bikes and $8K-$10K in CVOs.......taking a slightly less profit with $1500 off to help make their numbers to Wall Street in Volume is pretty much SOP for any publicly traded Co
Actually I can't think of a time where this soon in the game they offered that much of a cookie. Sure they usually do something starting about this time of year but not $1,500 worth. I could be wrong though and probably am. Last year once the 19's hit the floor they were offering .99% financing on any new 18 model for qualified buyers. And they were offering free basic services for I believe 4yrs but turns out that was if you paid full retail. If they are doing $1,500 already I bet you could get a hell of a deal when the 20's hit the floor! Kinda like going to buy a metric bike I guess. :wink:

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Actually I can't think of a time where this soon in the game they offered that much of a cookie.
Did it last year before the 19's came out and I got it on my '17 before the '18s came out......happens every year with one or the other .99% or 1.99% or $1000 or $1500.......its baked into their Operating Model.....and HD is not the only one....its common practice

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Did it last year before the 19's came out and I got it on my '17 before the '18s came out......happens every year with one or the other .99% or 1.99% or $1000 or $1500.......its baked into their Operating Model.....and HD is not the only one....its common practice
Right, but that doesn't mean a particular dealer will pass that savings on to the customer. If they do, they will make it look like you negotiated them down instead of a pass through from MoCo.

Some dealers still start at Dealer Suggested Retail Price which is higher than Manufacturers suggested retail price.

When I bought my '16 RGU in January of '16 Harley gave me the 5 year ESP for $1, and the dealer gave me full NADA retail value on my trades and I paid MSRP for the bike. That was like giving me $6000 off the purchase comparing NADA retail and trade in values.

They typically try to hide the discounts by making them incentives like discounted ESP, or money towards accessories etc. instead of a reduction in price.

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Just to throw a wrench into this discussion: he's in Australia. 1500 is about 1052 in US dollars.

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Hey Guys,

I’m due to pick up my 2019 RGS this Saturday. I sent over the signed paperwork today to finalise the deal. No sooner had I emailed the paperwork, the Business Manager calls me and said that HD announced this morning for all new bikes they are giving you $1500 towards HD Products or take it off the price of the bike. Seeing as though I have already put a Stage II on it I decided to go with a backrest and other little add-one.

Who says you don’t get anything from the MOCO.

Dargle
Dargle, welcome to the forum. We do have one rule here: You have to spell "finalise" with a Z like we dumb Americans do. Only kidding and again, welcome to the best forum on the internet!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I remember when Harley never needed advertisement and rarely ever saw a Harley commercial on TV, yet folks were lined up and on waiting list to buy one several grand over msrp. Those days are over and with todays motorcycle market,Harley needs to offer these deals from time to time. I have been fortunate getting 1500 off on my last 3 Harleys due to law enforcement/veteran discounts that many dealers offer. We all spend a lot of money on Harleys and accessories and MoCo should be giving back to us occasionally. No shame in taking advantage of offers like that

·
Registered
997 Posts
New scooters ship in less than 5 weeks, and dealers are still flush with 19's. So they need to move scooters out of the dealers.

Assuming you believe the information on this dealer cost/invoice website, https://seedealercost.com/power-sports/browse/product/harley-davidson-motorcycle-touring-road-glide-ultra-2019 there is about a $5K markup from invoice to MSRP without additional accessories installed (which are marked up). $1,500 back says a lot, but not a fire sale so far. Also, I wonder if the $1,500 off of accessories is off of list price plus installation. You are not really getting $1,500 in off the actual costs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did well with my deal. The RRP here is $42,000 ride away. I got the bike at $36,000 ride away as my mates daughter works for the head company that owns my local dealership.

I then put on the following go fast bits which added another $6,000 to the cost of the bike:
S&S 475 Cam
Harley Davidson Heavy Breather
Vance & Hines Power Duals Header
Vance & Hines 450 Slip-Ons
Power Commander V
Passenger Backrest
Dyno Tune - at 1600km service

I’ve used the $1500’s to buy a riders backrest, some bag liners, dash pocket liners, Premium pannier bags, smoked lenses with orange globes up front, overnight bag and a protective riding shirt. I still have $26 left that I’ll probably buy a hat with.

My dealership charged me the RRP less 15% on the accessories and they will fit them for free for me.

This bike wasn’t one that was sitting on the dealership floor either, I went in to order one for a mid-September delivery and it turned out that this one was already on the water coming to Aus.

Like I said, I have a really good relationship with my dealer so that goes a little way in how they look after me.

Thanks for the welcome guys, looking forward to being part of the crew. Give you guys a different perspective from Down Under.

Dargle

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride, thats awesome, and like you said the extra 1500 bucks is icing on the cake. Post a pic after you get it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Never seen so many bikes on the showroom floor (Oakland) and it's a big showroom. Use to have to weeks week for a service appointment, now just days.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,187 Posts
I remember when Harley never needed advertisement and rarely ever saw a Harley commercial on TV, yet folks were lined up and on waiting list to buy one several grand over msrp. Those days are over and with todays motorcycle market,Harley needs to offer these deals from time to time. I have been fortunate getting 1500 off on my last 3 Harleys due to law enforcement/veteran discounts that many dealers offer. We all spend a lot of money on Harleys and accessories and MoCo should be giving back to us occasionally. No shame in taking advantage of offers like that
Not sure why but my mind was going way back. I had a flashback visual of what the local HD dealer looked like when I was 16. The whole place was about the equivalent of a 3 stall service station. The "showroom" was probably 16' x 16' and they had one Sportster and one 74 c.i. FLH full dresser on display. Behind that was the equivalent of the second stall which was where they kept the parts (lots of engine parts and tons of gaskets). Then there was the 'shop' which employed one "mechanic". Both the owner and the mechanic always had a cigarette dangling from the corner of their mouths. They were open Monday thru Friday. And this was in a New England city of 100,000 population. My, things have changed, LOL.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
It's called supply and demand. In those days, and it wasn't that long ago, you didn't have a dealership on every corner like a Starbucks and there wasn't 50-200 bikes on the floor ready to go out the door. You had to order one and when you got the call that your bike came in you had to take whatever color it was. If you didn't like the color you got back on the list and hoped the next one was a better color. OK so maybe I was exaggerating about the Starbucks comparison but you catch my drift. Production has been higher than at any point and it's not hard at all, as long as you can afford it, to get the Harley you want.

I really kinda miss the old days of the smaller HD dealerships and having to wait on a bike. Seems like it made it more special. I wish there was a happy medium between what was and what we have now. The dealerships are just too flashy and at very least they need to allow some to have the smaller mom and pop shops in certain places.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Not sure why but my mind was going way back. I had a flashback visual of what the local HD dealer looked like when I was 16. The whole place was about the equivalent of a 3 stall service station. The "showroom" was probably 16' x 16' and they had one Sportster and one 74 c.i. FLH full dresser on display. Behind that was the equivalent of the second stall which was where they kept the parts (lots of engine parts and tons of gaskets). Then there was the 'shop' which employed one "mechanic". Both the owner and the mechanic always had a cigarette dangling from the corner of their mouths. They were open Monday thru Friday. And this was in a New England city of 100,000 population. My, things have changed, LOL.
And some places mandated that they get to keep your bike for (2) weeks to show it off on the floor......as they needed to have SOMETHING there........that is why that '98 Wide Glide my neighbor took back came with (2) Tanks, (2) Seats, (2) Sets of wheels as he ordered it ALLLLL so he would never have to wait

·
Registered
772 Posts
Funny you should mention the old days. Sorting through some boxes in the garage, I found a handwritten receipt for some gaskets for my 73 Sporty from around 79-80 from an old local dealer. I remember the place, sounds about like what you describe. Squeaky wood floor with oil stains, 2-3 new bikes, chrome goodies in an old wood and glass display case. At the time, Harleys on the road were few and far between. Things have certainly changed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts