Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have all my music on a 64gb USB thumb drive. When I picked up the bike, the radio didn't immediately play any music from the USB. It seemed like it recognized the drive was there...but maybe it had to read the drive in order to play music? Anyway, after about 15 minutes, music started playing no problem.

It worked fine for 350 miles.

Then I unplugged the USB to delete some songs and create some playlists. When I plugged it back in, the drive isn't on the media list and the radio doesn't seem to recognize I even plugged anything in.

Any thoughts? I checked the software, and I think it was 18.0.0

·
Registered
132 Posts
The latest version is 1.18.3.

What I have seen with mine is, when you unplug the usb and plug it back in, it will need to "re-find" the usb media again to play songs. Like it needs to re-sync the music again. I've had my usb plugged in for a few weeks, and it always plays music with no issues. Actually, sometimes it defaults back to playing the FM radio for some reason when I first turn the bike on... not sure why - and it's rare when it happens, but I can always find the usb media again right away by selecting Media.

I don't have playlists in my thumb drive, just one Music folder containing Artist folders then Album folders and songs in those folders. I think I have like 900+ songs in the thumb drive currently.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The latest version is 1.18.3.

What I have seen with mine is, when you unplug the usb and plug it back in, it will need to "re-find" the usb media again to play songs. Like it needs to re-sync the music again. I've had my usb plugged in for a few weeks, and it always plays music with no issues. Actually, sometimes it defaults back to playing the FM radio for some reason when I first turn the bike on... not sure why - and it's rare when it happens, but I can always find the usb media again right away by selecting Media.

I don't have playlists in my thumb drive, just one Music folder containing Artist folders then Album folders and songs in those folders. I think I have like 900+ songs in the thumb drive currently.
mine just won't resync this time apparently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine did the same thing!! It was driving me mad. So I put in another USB drive and loaded it with just 1 song. It recognized that one immediately and then when I put my "music" USB drive back in it started playing it again.

I also updated the software to the most current version to be safe after that as well. Now I've pulled my music stick out several times and changed playlists and have not had the issue happen again.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It seems the larger the drive the longer the delay to load, on mine I have run a 2GB about 150 songs which is basically instant to a 64GB close to 10,000 songs which takes as long as 60-90 seconds to even recognize that there is media present. Then another 60 seconds to begin to play only does it occasionally if I leave the stick installed.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I just bought a 64 gig Samsung thumb drive. Loaded 30 songs to see how it went. Nothing. It sees my phone ok. But won't load the drive. I shut the Bluetooth off on the phone but still nothing. Any ideas? Brand new drive. I formatted it before I loaded the music. ExFat or ntsf were my choices. I went with fat.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I just bought a 64 gig Samsung thumb drive. Loaded 30 songs to see how it went. Nothing. It sees my phone ok. But won't load the drive. I shut the Bluetooth off on the phone but still nothing. Any ideas? Brand new drive. I formatted it before I loaded the music. ExFat or ntsf were my choices. I went with fat.
Does the radio recognize "anything" that plugs into the USB connector? It's possible you may have to check the cable where it plugs into the back of the radio. Also be sure you are on the latest firmware.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Does the radio recognize "anything" that plugs into the USB connector? It's possible you may have to check the cable where it plugs into the back of the radio. Also be sure you are on the latest firmware.
Firmware is 1.18 something. It charges my phone and plays my ipod. I tried 2 different ways to get music on it. Just dragging files over. And that didn't work. So I formatted it and used iTunes to export to f drive.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Needs no be MP3. Apple formatting does not work. Also having too many songs on the usb will cause radio to freeze. On mine happened at 17gb fine at 8gb.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Check what you formatted the drive to (NTFS, FAT32, etc.). I use FAT32 formatting. I also have over 25gb of mp3 songs on my memory stick and have multiple playlist configured and I have no problem. The very first time you plug the memory stick into the radio it will take a bit to index everything, but after that you should have no problems. I also created a duplicate copy of this for my buddy's new '16 CVO Road Glide and he has had no issues with reading from it. As mentioned, check that your songs are either mp3 or mp4.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
All music on usb drive needs to be mp3 format... you CANNOT USE FILE FORMAT FROM ITUNES.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Check what you formatted the drive to (NTFS, FAT32, etc.). I use FAT32 formatting. I also have over 25gb of mp3 songs on my memory stick and have multiple playlist configured and I have no problem. The very first time you plug the memory stick into the radio it will take a bit to index everything, but after that you should have no problems. I also created a duplicate copy of this for my buddy's new '16 CVO Road Glide and he has had no issues with reading from it. As mentioned, check that your songs are either mp3 or mp4.

You raise a question I've been meaning to ask ... how do you create a playlist that the Boom system will recognize?

My problem is that I also have over 20Gb of songs ... and it takes forever for the system to sync every time I want to listen to music on the stick. Would be easier if I have my music broken down into playlists; which are easy to get to while the rest of the individual songs are syncing.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I've got approximately 14Gb of music on my 32Gb USB thumb drive. Radio is more cooperative with the songs placed into folders on the drive than if I leave them "loose" as individual files.

As many have mentioned before, a lot of music takes a while for the head unit to index and read before the music becomes available to play.

Especially if you disconnect and then modify the contents of the thumb drive.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
All music on usb drive needs to be mp3 format... you CANNOT USE FILE FORMAT FROM ITUNES.
I tried iTunes because a few guys on hdforums run that way. Said it's plug and play for them. I'm going to update the firmware and start over.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I tried iTunes because a few guys on hdforums run that way. Said it's plug and play for them. I'm going to update the firmware and start over.
I run a usb stick in mp3 format... never have issues... I have 3 32gb sticks that I carry

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've found 64GB sometimes causes me issues?

32GB seems like a good size with plenty of room for lots of music?

In your BOOM manual it shows what formats it will play. I know MP3, Mpeg4, and a couple others. It does not have to be MP3

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I've found 64GB sometimes causes me issues?

32GB seems like a good size with plenty of room for lots of music?

In your BOOM manual it shows what formats it will play. I know MP3, Mpeg4, and a couple others. It does not have to be MP3
Now it won't see my ipod. I have the ipod set up for Bluetooth so I'll run that way. Software is 1.19.2. Latest. It's going in for the free 1000 mile service Wednesday. I'm having them look at the head unit while it's there. It's free.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If you open up the drive what does it look like? Is there a path to the files? Or just files on the drive?
Just the files on the drive... no directories.

Now... when I drag and drop the mp3's... that's all I do.

·
Registered
593 Posts
You raise a question I've been meaning to ask ... how do you create a playlist that the Boom system will recognize?

My problem is that I also have over 20Gb of songs ... and it takes forever for the system to sync every time I want to listen to music on the stick. Would be easier if I have my music broken down into playlists; which are easy to get to while the rest of the individual songs are syncing.
Let me start by saying that over the years I've spent a LOT of time organizing music files, pictures, and desktop wallpapers. I'm a little OCD when it comes to that stuff and tend to "collect" files like that. I've also used software to "fix" all of the ID3 mp3 tags on all of my music so the Artist/Song/Album/Genre is reflected correctly, or at least reflected the way I want.

With that said, all of my music is separate folders for each artist, with each album as sub-folders and the music (mp3) inside of each album folder. I simply "drop" those folders onto the memory stick.

A 32gb memory stick should be plenty big enough. I like the super small ones.
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive--SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467129811&sr=8-1&keywords=san+disk+low+profile+32gb

For building playlist, I use a piece of software called Playlist Creator for mp3 players. Be sure you are pointing the playlist to the files located on the memory stick and you can put the playlist files (each playlist is its own file) right on the root of the drive.

All of this sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't bad once you figure out what you are doing.

Hope all of that helps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts