Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently installed a boom amp and speakers on my 2013 RGU. First I want to state clearly I am not an audio expert, nor do I strive to have the loudest and baddest sounds bellowing from my bike.

I simply want to hear my radio clear and crisp distortion free at interstate speeds.

Prior to installing an amp, my local hd shop recommended that I first try the upgrade to the boom speakers as an amp may not be necessary and that could possibly keep me from spending money unnecessarily ( yes my local shop does care about giving customers good advice, not necessarily selling products that a customer does not need)

The result was far better than stock, and at 60 mph was acceptable, but on an interstate, in order to hear above road noise volume was at 75 to 80% and I could detect distortion. So I wasn't satisfied and wanted an amp.

So I had the boom amp installed a week after having speaker grade.
WOW ! What a difference! Clear and crisp, at interstate speeds using 40 to 50 % volume. I am sold!!!

After reading all the negative comments about boom on this forum, I had to post my results. Agreed, there are louder systems available, but for a guy who has been riding for 47 years and enjoys listening to XM radio while he rides, Boom gets it done. For those that want their bikes so loud it could be used for music at a block party, they might not be happy.

I chose boom over j&m simply because I had no access to support on the product when j&m trailer was not in town for the rally ( I live near Daytona)
My local hd shop supports boom products.

I was influenced by all the negative comments on boom on this forum, so I was reluctant to go boom. But, I am glad I did. The system meets my requirements hands down

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Boom AMP & Speakers

Sounds like you have what you like, enjoy as that is what is important.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am sure that Boom makes a descent product. My problem was the cost. Mind telling us what you spent on that system for a amp and speakers?

Aaron

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm with you Powell. I have 8 boom speakers and two boom amps on my Ultra and it's perfect for me. It has all the sound I'll ever need and I know if there's a problem I can go back to the dealer to fix it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm glad it worked for what you need - it's your bike and your wallet so that's all that matters at the end of the day.

It's certainly not the preferred system for a lot of folks, but that's the great thing about forums. You were able to do some research and ended up with a good system for you.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I chose boom over j&m simply because I had no access to support on the product when j&m trailer was not in town for the rally ( I live near Daytona)
My local hd shop supports boom products.
That counts for something. We all have different criteria, so enjoy whatever works for you and don't feel like you need to apologize for it.
And I think we can all agree that anything is an upgrade from stock.:cool:

·
JMJOHN
1,002 Posts
Tim ,,,,,,,

absolutely the BOOM is an upgrade from stock and a decent one at that ,,,, certainly a lot better than some of the aftermarket stuff running around ,,,,

if you get a chance, stop by the J&M audio trailer at Rossmeyers in two weeks, I would like to hear your bike and you can compare it to anything inside the J&M audio demo trailer area ,,,,,

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tim ,,,,,,,

absolutely the BOOM is an upgrade from stock and a decent one at that ,,,, certainly a lot better than some of the aftermarket stuff running around ,,,,

if you get a chance, stop by the J&M audio trailer at Rossmeyers in two weeks, I would like to hear your bike and you can compare it to anything inside the J&M audio demo trailer area ,,,,,
John,
I will stop by as I always do.. My wife and I both have used J&M products for over ten years ( headsets, cb units ) I have an ultra now so I have a built in cb, but my wife's unit (purchased in 2005) is still going strong. You make a good product, I know that.
I also know that your speaker size is larger than the boom 5 1/4 speakers.
I know that your products sound great from the numerous visits to your trailer, at Daytona and Sturgis.
I do the mechanical work on our bikes, but not the electronic. ( not my area of expertise). I checked with J&M dealers in the area, and not one of them, stated that they could pull an amp so that I could send it back if there was a problem)
That is the reason I went with boom, I did not doubt your product, but there was no maintenance support locally. The HD dealer only deals with boom.
I also know that you stand behind your products, my concern was removal or repairing of wires, connections , if necessary, at the local level.
If I had found any one of your dealers, in Daytona area or jacksonville area that would have said they can remove an amp or repair a connection, I would have went with your product.
As I said in my original post, I know nothing about audio, so I must rely on local support.
I hope that one day, a local J&M dealer acquires the capability to install and service J&M products. That would be ideal.
J&M is a great company with very customer service orientated personnel. No question!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts