Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done it? Are you happy with it? My Discount brings the total cost to about a grand including install. Im thinking of pulling the trigger. I don't want to go aftermarket .... i know i know....there are better systems...this is only asking those who installed the BOOM stage 2 ferring speakers. Also does anyone know who ACTUALLY designed the system FOR harley?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the Stage 2 amp and speakers installed in my 2017 Special. With the display unit in the Harley shop, the stage 2 sounded great when compared to the stock setup. The bass came through much better. But when going down the road, I find it necessary to turn down the bass and up the treble in order to get clean power to the speakers and to my ears. Plus I can't really hear the stereo well unless I put ear plugs in to limit the wind noise. I don't know who designed the Harley system. If I had to do it over, I think I would have been happier spending $1000 differently.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
I know you don't want to hear this......but do not waste your $$ on Boom Stuff. regardless of any store credit as it really is not even worth the credit - Save some dough and go aftermarket and you will be SO much happier in the long run - I have Boom 2 stuff on my Bike and came off a bike that had J&M and while many of the Audio Heads on here will say J&M is not all that great either, even my Rokker Set up was LIGHTYEARS ahead of the Boom stuff I now have and sounded great at 80mph, barely at 3/4s volume - A lot has to do with your windscreen too

·
Registered
7 Posts
Considerably better

I recently stage 2'd my ultra: fairing, bags and tourpack

Its noticeably clearer and fuller sound up to about 75mph (i have the tall windshield - so less wind noise).

I ride with the tour-pack off occasionally and it really changes the sound dynamic but its still tons better than stage 1. $1000 better - jury is still out there :crying:

Its an upgrade but i doubt it will ever be audiophiles dream system.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I did the Boom 2 upgrade. To hear it at speed, you must turn the volume all the way up. That blew 2 sets of speakers before I got smart and trashed the Boom 2 altogether. I am now running Arc Audio components and can hear it clearly at 80 mph at only half volume. Don't waste your money on the Boom 2. The amp is too weak and the speakers are marginal - though better than Boom 1.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have boom 2 on mine as I bought it used and was fully installed. Boom 2 in fairing and in bags. I hear mine just fine at 75 to 80. I run a 12" klockwerks flare. Run volume at about 3/4. Could go louder but don't feel comfortable as different songs are louder and at speed I don't feel I could tell if things were distorted or not. So I would say I am pleased with mine but I didn't shell out big bucks for it. If looking at just boom 2 in the fairing only I think I would go a different route. I know I am the minority that is content with it, but definitely better out there. And depends on how good your hearing is as well. I am actually seeking to see if there is a replacement speaker that will plug and play with boom audio2 stuff and looks like Rockford has come out with a 5x7 bag speaker replacement that will work with boom 2.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ok, just put on about 40 miles. Got back from clutch update. I run my volume on 10 or 11 out of 17 with the boom 2 in fairing and in saddlebags. Honestly I am happy. I could hear just fine. If you are worried I am sure the dealer has some used bike with different sound packages installed. Boom is going to be expensive and there are other options out there. But if you want the boom to keep it all factory, it is better than the base setup. As mentioned before it depends on the windshield, exhaust, and hearing ability. I do know the biketronics setup is plug and play. Again, I hope this helps you, but do what makes you happy.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
My dealer just ordered me the Biketronics 2180.15 RG kit and used $415.00 in points I have. Added a $50.00 dollar gift card I had and it's only costing me $335 out of pocket. And I have not heard a complaint about biketronics.
That sounds great!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have the Stage 2 amp and speakers installed in my 2017 Special. With the display unit in the Harley shop, the stage 2 sounded great when compared to the stock setup. The bass came through much better. But when going down the road, I find it necessary to turn down the bass and up the treble in order to get clean power to the speakers and to my ears. Plus I can't really hear the stereo well unless I put ear plugs in to limit the wind noise. I don't know who designed the Harley system. If I had to do it over, I think I would have been happier spending $1000 differently.
I think the amp is $600 and Stage 1 speakers are $400 so if you can get the Stage 2 for a grand that’s something anyway but I know...most people think they suck and speakers will blow

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
As others have said, the windshield makes a huge difference. My CVO RGU came with the Stage I. I got a killer deal on used Stage II speakers and the 2nd amp. I have about $600 in the upgrade and am happy with it. Now, it's an Ultra. It has rear speakers and at slower speeds, they make a difference. I also have a 14" windshield that helps with the noise big time.

If you can get the biketronics setup for about the same money, I'd go that route.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Has anyone done it? Are you happy with it? My Discount brings the total cost to about a grand including install. Im thinking of pulling the trigger. I don't want to go aftermarket .... i know i know....there are better systems...this is only asking those who installed the BOOM stage 2 ferring speakers. Also does anyone know who ACTUALLY designed the system FOR harley?
Sound system is a preference to each own, chasing after the audio unicorn comes down to .....pay once, cry once....Most of your replies were members paid for and moved on to another setup...live and learn....pay once, cry once...Been there done that, paid a few times, but got there now.....Good luck and keep us posted..

·
Registered
753 Posts

If you’re not interested In aftermarket than I’d recommend spending a grand on go fast or shiny stuff. Boom still not worth it at that price. Don’t know who designed it, but whoever put the price point on it should be shot. It came stock on my bike, if I could have ordered it without that junk I would have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I feel your pain. I spent $1500 of sound and amp upgrades on my previous Ultra with speakers installed in the lowers. In the end, the owner of the well respected sound company said its futal to think I would get the sound quality I want while sitting on a seat open to my surroundings at 70 mph. They all sound great standing still but wind will win every time. I agree with your thought on spending the $1000 elsewhere. Moving forward, on my new glide, I will leave the stock sound alone and spend $250 on a Bluetooth helmet set up. This may be totally different in other parts of the country where amazing two laners through country sides are everywhere with lower speeds. Out west, we have a lot of open long distance (highway) roads we must cross to get us to those beautiful backroads. Once there, sound quality has a chance to earn its $.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had Boom Audio Stage 2 in my Previous SG,Junk,Speakers are garbage.Been watching E-Bay when they have the 15% off I have been buying,Got Infinity Kappas for $90,Biketronics Line leveler So I don't have to reflash radio for $85 An I just got a Cerwin Vega B52 Amp for $115 an misc. Wireing $20.This setup has good reviews on other site they have some good Audio help there,Spent$310.Never Took my fairing apart on the RGS getting ready Nothing better to do in The Winter here.I think this is a much Better setup Than Boom Audio for a lot Less.Probably one of the better setups for the $$!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have a stage 2 in the fairing and it’s fine for me
Fine is good, there's better...or worst? 1 or 2??
Better or wait, best or Primo?
First post needs a welcome...Welcome.:nerd:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know you don't want to hear this......but do not waste your $$ on Boom Stuff. regardless of any store credit as it really is not even worth the credit - Save some dough and go aftermarket and you will be SO much happier in the long run - I have Boom 2 stuff on my Bike and came off a bike that had J&M and while many of the Audio Heads on here will say J&M is not all that great either, even my Rokker Set up was LIGHTYEARS ahead of the Boom stuff I now have and sounded great at 80mph, barely at 3/4s volume - A lot has to do with your windscreen too
What windscreen are you using?? I only have the stock one and ordered LRS 11" Thresher..... just wondering if I made good choice.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you’re not interested In aftermarket than I’d recommend spending a grand on go fast or shiny stuff. Boom still not worth it at that price. Don’t know who designed it, but whoever put the price point on it should be shot. It came stock on my bike, if I could have ordered it without that junk I would have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I was riding Batwing bikes, I could hear the stereo fine (again with the aid of earplugs to limit power train and wind noise.) I road the Road Glide with a 12" Windvest last year and just put on a 13" Long Ride Thresher for this coming spring. I'm not expecting a major if any difference in the ability to hear the stereo, I just want the extra height. I think maybe having the speakers closer in the Batwing fairing is the reason I could hear it better than on the Sharknose. But I'm not interested in going back to the Electra Glide. I agree with Roadie, no regrets with fast or shiny stuff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts