Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2020 Road Glide Special about 10 days ago. My first H-D bike. I came from owning Indians. Today I stumbled over the user manual for the bikes boom gts system. It was by accident. It was in soft copy which is pretty much useless to try and read on my phone. I called H-D customer service and managed to talk them out of one. I also called the dealership that sold me the bike. They said H-D quit providing the user manual in hard copy with the 2019’s. My dealer said they could order one for $20.00 but eventually said they would order and send no cost. I’ll see which one shows up first.

What is up with the mothership leaving their customers to figure out how to use the equipment on the bike by trial and error?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
There was a bunch of bitching about it last year. Pretty much blown over at this point. Anyway, there a few different places where you can find the digital copy.

If you can't find it ask and some will more then likely post a link for you.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have all the manuals in paper book form for my 2019, but I had to work hard to get them:

Owners Manual (came with bike), Full Service Manual, Electronic Diagnostics Manual and Boom!GTS Manual.

I had to pay for the thick EDM, but got the thin Boom!GTS book free from selling dealer.

There were/are no Full Service Manual books for 2019 Touring in the H-D Australia warehouse (''no demand for them'' ..... WTF?) and i had to get one from San Francisco H-D in California. But even they had to get it sent over from another California dealership... none in stock!

The days of people wanting paper manuals are over. But not for this guy.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I'm going to jack this thread now that you have your answers for that.

What made you come to HD after riding Indians? Would like more info on what models of theirs you had and what your experience with them was.
Thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a 2018 Chief Vintage that I traded for this RGS. The Vintage was a nice bike on the open highway. Better ride I think as far as suspension and rider position. What I didn’t like was the soft saddlebags and no fairing. Indian dealerships wouldn’t budge on 2019 price points. I didn’t feel like waiting around for the Challenger. They look pretty similar to the RG and as you go up in their pricing many of the features are on the RGS by different name but provide much of the same functionality. For example the new RDRS system. Plus the Challenger is a first year run, I’m sure there will be bugs to work out. The dealership network with Indian is nowhere near as expansive as H-D. Accessory pricing with Indian is ridiculous and the aftermarket options have a ways to go. There are things I’m finding with H-D I haven’t cared for, but they are unrelated to the bike so will keep them to myself for the most part. This thread I started here is one of many examples of things I am not liking thus far. Anyway, I still have one Indian and plan to keep it for a while. Hope that answers the question.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Seems like we kinda of lose something each year lately . This year it’s the heal shifter, the second key fob. And the vent switches. The MC needs to re think about who their customers are. I get the need for profit. Trust me. But I am getting tired of all the little things. I absolutely love the H-D brand but just include all the parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Seems like we kinda of lose something each year lately . This year it’s the heal shifter, the second key fob. And the vent switches. The MC needs to re think about who their customers are. I get the need for profit. Trust me. But I am getting tired of all the little things. I absolutely love the H-D brand but just include all the parts.

“Seems” is a good description.

This is really the first year that they’ve takin anything off the bikes. And as far as that goes the 2020s are cheaper then the 2019s.

Now let’s talk about the vents. Go back a year or even two and look at posts. MOST people will have said I never use them. So there is that.

The heal shifter.....I take them off my bikes the minute I get them home. As do a lot of people.

The key fob thing kinda sucks I’ll give you that one.

So is it really a big deal?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I get that but I do like the heal shifter buts that a personal thing. I live in Minnesota. So the vents make a huge deal due to the variant weather changes we have. I close them as soon as the temp drops below 40 and and plug in the heated gear. Nearly half of the country lives on the top. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I get that but I do like the heal shifter buts that a personal thing. I live in Minnesota. So the vents make a huge deal due to the variant weather changes we have. I close them as soon as the temp drops below 40 and and plug in the heated gear. Nearly half of the country lives on the top. Just saying.

All the parts you are talking about can be had for under $300 at full HD retail. That's the complete vents, heal shifter, and FOB. Price difference between a 20 and a 19 is a little over $400.

I still don't see it as that big of a deal.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts

This is really the first year that they’ve takin anything off the bikes. And as far as that goes the 2020s are cheaper then the 2019s.

Now let’s talk about the vents. Go back a year or even two and look at posts. MOST people will have said I never use them. So there is that.

The heal shifter.....I take them off my bikes the minute I get them home. As do a lot of people.

to expound on your post, since 2007, i have purchased 7 touring bikes, which all had security, so they all came with 2 fobs. in that time, between the wife and i, we have needed the second key fob exactly zero times. so yeah, while i'd like to have it, i don't really see it as a show stopper.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Not really the first year bud.

2016 they did away with the amber turn signal bar and the CB on the Ultras. Like most parts, they may not mean much to some people while others miss those features. Case in point about that turn signal bar, If you wanted to make your tour pack a quick detach, it was not big deal to piece together the parts or buy the kit from HD. Now if you want to do that, you've lost your turn signals which pretty much forces you to spend money on lights for the back of the saddlebags. While effective, they're not for everyone. The other option for Turn signals is going back to using hand signals and I myself am not too crazy about that with all the distracted drivers nowadays.

2019 the owners manual for the new radio.

They've been skimping and dropping stuff for a while but the uproar about it has been kinda quiet until this model year.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
2016 they did away with the amber turn signal bar and the CB on the Ultras. Like most parts, they may not mean much to some people while others miss those features. Case in point about that turn signal bar, If you wanted to make your tour pack a quick detach, it was not big deal to piece together the parts or buy the kit from HD. Now if you want to do that, you've lost your turn signals which pretty much forces you to spend money on lights for the back of the saddlebags. While effective, they're not for everyone. The other option for Turn signals is going back to using hand signals and I myself am not too crazy about that with all the distracted drivers nowadays.
That was a redesigned bike....to me not really the same thing. On that same line of thinking they added a GPS, fairing vents, and one touch saddle bags.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Nobody ever came out and said this, but seeing what I've seen on the number of warranty claims for repairing that damned vent switch (along with the fact that they whistle), I've got to think this was a huge factor in the decision to make them full open all the time.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
That was a redesigned bike....to me not really the same thing. On that same line of thinking they added a GPS, fairing vents, and one touch saddle bags.
Nope. Same as the '15. I have a '15 Ultra. CVO but nonetheless an Ultra. '15 batwing ultra came with a CB, not the '16 so any argument about not having a non cvo rgu in '15 would be invalid.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts