Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Never owned (Its ordered!!) a Road glide so not heard the stock radio at highway speeds but it seems the majority say it sucks, so an immediate audio upgrade is going to happen. Decided to start at a 2 speaker and amp upgrade, but I have been watching a lot of YouTube and and landed on Volunteer Audio and checked out the SoundStream HDHU.14si. Looks like all around it is a better unit, no flash needed and their kits come with the Maestro so I can get a lot of extra features from it like MPG without using NAV (lots of data points from the ECM), built in car play. There is about a 1k difference in price for that unit, but it also sounds like you can recoup that by selling the Boom GTS. (sounds like 1500 is the going rate give or take for a pretty much never used unit) The alternative is to stick with the stock. Just looking for some feedback/guidance. Those with expereince...is it worth the upgrade? Is it one of those, not a lot of return for the money spent, are my numbers wrong etc? Really looking to see if this is a solid way to go.

Thanks!

· Registered
1,890 Posts
Good luck getting $1500 for the GTS at this point. The new SoundStream HDHU.14si fully loaded is less than $1200.

I think it a better overall radio from what I hear. However, IF I had the GTS, I doubt I'd go for it. For those of us with GT units, it's a better OVERALL, feature rich value - more so than being taken by those selling obsolescence.

But then again, I've other priorities than music on a motorcycle. :)

There may be some uninformed person willing to pay that much - and I am sure there are some that could still sell it for that much and sleep well at night.

Product Font Screenshot Rectangle Multimedia

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was exactly what I needed to hear!! Thanks! Just need to get a different perspective and get others viewpoints. The small added benefit to me does not seem worth it.

Thanks again!

· Registered
2019 RGS
6,567 Posts
That was exactly what I needed to hear!! Thanks! Just need to get a different perspective and get others viewpoints. The small added benefit to me does not seem worth it.

Thanks again!
I’ll put it bluntly. No way in hell I’d swap my GTS for that. Nope. No way that 1200 into an amp and speakers would be how I went. For sure.

· Registered
1,890 Posts
That my friend, just makes perfect logical and budgetary sense.

In my mind - more so now because people will (soon enough) not be able to recoup all or most of their cost by selling the GTS.

I’ll put it bluntly. No way in hell I’d swap my GTS for that. Nope. No way that 1200 into an amp and speakers would be how I went. For sure.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yah sticking with the GTS :) Lots of options that seem all over the place based on my search, but enough info out there for me to make a reasonable decision on finding the right amp and speakers for my usecase.

Thanks again all!! Appreciate you!

· Registered
2019 RGS
6,567 Posts
yah sticking with the GTS :) Lots of options that seem all over the place based on my search, but enough info out there for me to make a reasonable decision on finding the right amp and speakers for my usecase.

Thanks again all!! Appreciate you!
Cool. Check out our audio forum and ask questions. There is multiple options that are simple plug and play I’m a fan of Biketronics and there’s a few others that the guys here run.

· Registered
97 Posts
My 61-year-old brother plays his Street glide radio all the time. Always on. I'm 71 and really enjoy the music. I probably play it 20% of the time. I guess I'm just not used to music on a bike. I have 300 vinyl LPS 400 CDs can't find all my cassettes. It's a pain to get them to a thumb drive but worth it. I have bike tronics amp and Titan speakers. I really want Yellow Baskets up front !!!
But that's actually pretty stupid and a waste of money. What I need is damn hearing aids !!!??
.... seriously 😒

· Registered
2022 Road Glide Limited
64 Posts
Good luck getting $1500 for the GTS at this point. The new SoundStream HDHU.14si fully loaded is less than $1200.

I think it a better overall radio from what I hear. However, IF I had the GTS, I doubt I'd go for it. For those of us with GT units, it's a better OVERALL, feature rich value - more so than being taken by those selling obsolescence.

But then again, I've other priorities than music on a motorcycle. :)

There may be some uninformed person willing to pay that much - and I am sure there are some that could still sell it for that much and sleep well at night.

View attachment 454537
NCPiper, I would agree with your thoughts in general, but if you add the issue of Bluetooth/WHIM/HD Branded Sena only to the financial comparison (especially for folks who have existing comm setup they like-Cardo) the 1200 or even 1500 outlay for the aftermarket option with 300 for WHIM, 250 for HD Sena 20S, 50 for flash means you only need 600 to 900 for your GTS to break even. Food for thought?

Reactions: dbell66253

· Registered
1,890 Posts
Good question and an opportunity for me to clarify my thoughts. Of course, everyone needs to define their requirements and decide which way to go - so I am in no way dictating that there is only one way to get what's needed. Things are hardly always black-and-white. LOL

Okay..... so with that aside - -

If the WHIM is a primary requirement, then IMO there is no need to select a different radio (especially the SoundStream) as it may be more prudent to work with an OEM headunit.
I know of no aftermarket unit that provides WHIM out-of-the-box.

And as others have pointed out so rightly, if the GTS unit is already on a bike, does it not make more sense to just put a little more $$ into that instead of another $1200 for the SoundStream?

I have the opinion that the SoundStream makes 'more' sense as a replacement for the GT radio. Better sound (out of the box) and so many more features.
** That's not to say I would not consider a solid, fully-functioning GTS radio at a fair price.

NCPiper, I would agree with your thoughts in general, but if you add the issue of Bluetooth/WHIM/HD Branded Sena only to the financial comparison (especially for folks who have existing comm setup they like-Cardo) the 1200 or even 1500 outlay for the aftermarket option with 300 for WHIM, 250 for HD Sena 20S, 50 for flash means you only need 600 to 900 for your GTS to break even. Food for thought?

· Premium Member
2020 CVO Road Glide
356 Posts
The GTS is a great foundation to work with if you'd like to upgrade the remainder of the stereo system. I wouldn't spend the extra money. I have my doubts about how Volunteer Audio markets some of their items. I talked to them about adding tour-pak speakers back in the fall and the employee was rude and condescending. Any brand they don't sell is automatically junk. Imagine that...... They recommended I gut my entire upgraded system and replace it with theirs because what I had was "not on par with the stuff they sell".

I'm sure it's a great unit. Worth gutting the GTS? I doubt it.

· Registered
1,890 Posts
Two months ago, Volunteer Audio didn't seem so "smug" regarding the GTS unit. They actually explained how they could make some tweaks to improve it for those wishing to keep it.

They are both a service and product vendor. Hopefully they don't cut their nose to spite their face.

· Registered
2019 RGS
6,567 Posts
Two months ago, Volunteer Audio didn't seem so "smug" regarding the GTS unit. They actually explained how they could make some tweaks to improve it for those wishing to keep it.

They are both a service and product vendor. Hopefully they don't cut their nose to spite their face.

Funny my head unit is NOT flashed. And it sounds amazing. I will be calling Mike to ask what the new thought is. He has it on his site there is a new flash protocol. But I have also heard of a few guys needing to flash it back because the flash made it worse. I refuse to believe that they HAVE to be.

I'm going to call to inquire. But I'm thinking it isn't broke. No need to fix it.

· Registered
1,890 Posts
You are the best person to answer that question. What are you trying to accomplish? What are the limitations of each? What are the advantages of each?

I could make the case for myself to replace the GT with the Soundstream. That said, if GTS owners start selling their GTS headunits for a reasonable price, I may actually change my mind. The value proposition can be made either way. Good luck with your decision.

· Registered
5,693 Posts
This one is less then the Soundstream.

· Registered
1,890 Posts
Seems that way. But when you add the $400 for XM, you are right back to the price of the Soundstream. :)
That doesn't even include the CarPlay ability and all the gyrations of getting that handled vs the Soundstream.

Just to clarify, I have no need for CB or WHIM which would make the GTS a "hands-down" better option.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts