Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
I went with the HDPD Plus. It gives me full control through the handlebar controls and is a good bit cheaper than the HD version. Easy installation . . . plug in the main harness, hot and ground, mount to top of radio, and route the dock connector. I set mine up to keep my ipod in the right fairing compartment but they sell an extension cord that you can use to put it in the saddlebag

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm very pleased with it. I have never used the HD version, so not sure what the differences are. I know they connect to the radio a little differently, but the dock connector is the same, it charges my Nano, and I can change tracks, etc with the handlebar controls. I used the Ipod through the aux connector a few times before I added the interface. It may be my imagination, but seems like the audio quality is better with the interface. It took a little time to fit the additional wiring in the fairing, but that was probably compounded by the fact that I added the Navigation Interface at the same time.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I don't care for the location of the HD interface connector. Moved it out of the saddlebag into the TP. The HD has some flakiness to it though. Will stop playing for no reason and come right back on most of the time. Once in a while it quits playing altogether. Selecting playlist will start it over.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I also run the HDPD plus and really like it I can't remember the last time I used the radio. The one thing that would be nice is if the wire harness was longer that's a lot of wires you have to bend out of the way to get the fairing on

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
638 Posts
I don't have an Iphone, but the only wire you can see on my interface is the dock connector wire. Nothing plugs into the front of the radio. It all goes in the back inside the fairing

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
There's just a cable that plugs into your iPod or phone I drilled a hole into my left glove box and ran it into there. The wires are all inside the fairing and if you don't have a ultra there's not near as many wires in the harness

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have the HDPD plus. I have the connector go in to the right compartment on the fairing. Just plug in my Iphone.
Does anybody else have this probem. When you shut the bike off & then turn it back on your music starts at the beginning again instead of just resuming where it left off. Is this normal.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Have the hdpd plus with an ipod in the right glove box. Love it. If i shut the bike off in the middle of a song it starts right back up where it left off when i restart the bike. Haven't tried it yet with an adapter for my iphone 5.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
There's just a cable that plugs into your iPod or phone I drilled a hole into my left glove box and ran it into there. The wires are all inside the fairing and if you don't have a ultra there's not near as many wires in the harness

So one wire plugs into your iPod / iPhone and it'll play music through that?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Haven't heard of that one. $150 less than boom audio. Are you pleased with it?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
not to discount the hddp, but if you get your ipod interface from a discounter, ie. pcpain, then the difference is less

It may be my imagination, but seems like the audio quality is better with the interface.
no, not your imagination. the interface is a digital output, vs the analog/amplified output via the headphone jack. some people have reported higher volume levels through the aux, but higher volume does not necessarily equal higher quality. especially when you consider that you are amplifying an amplified signal. twice the amp, twice the distortion.....

Does anybody else have this probem. When you shut the bike off & then turn it back on your music starts at the beginning again instead of just resuming where it left off.
i have the hd version. i don't know what the trigger is, but sometimes if i turn it off, it resumes right where it left off. other times, starts at the beginning. i don't use playlists, i just have mine set to shuffle, so if it starts at the beginning, and i don't feel like hearing that song again, a quick flick of the thumb takes care of it.

it isn't time, sometimes it'll sit for a couple of days and pick up where it left off, and then other times, it starts at the beginning after just a couple of hours.

i don't consider it a 'problem', just a quirk. either way, if you go with the hd version or the omt version, its a great thing to have.

So one wire plugs into your iPod / iPhone and it'll play music through that?
yes, just the 30 pin connector that plugs into the bottom of your phone/ipod. i've heard reports that it works with iphone 5's as well, as long as you have the 30pin to lightning adapter.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I installed the HD Boom version. I thought it was a fairly difficult install that includes a lot of room for error. There are 3 things that were screwing me up.

The first one was putting all of the terminated leads into the 35 Pin Connector which had to be purchased separately. I thought I had them pushed all the way in, but I had to push them way, way down using needle nose pliers so they would make contact on the other side. Once they are shoved way back there to the point that you can see them coming out on the other side, you know your OK.

The second issue is the 2 jumper wires that were also part of the 35 Pin Connector kit. They also need to be pushed way into the 35 Pin connector as deep as you can get them in there.

The third and final problematic thing is the round end of the interface wire that goes from the iPod Interface Module to the Apple iPod serial cable. It is very fragile, and will clearly not hold up well to repeated connecting and disconnecting. I went with the saddlebag tether mount kit, so the connecting/disconnection scenario is pretty much a given. My round end is already coming apart, and I will need to buy a replacement cable. Consequently, sometimes I get iPod failed to respond messages when trying to navigate the unit. The music always plays fine.

Here is a link that helped me through the difficulties I had above.

How to install iPod using Boom Audio iPod Interface module

1 - 18 of 18 Posts