Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Riders, I am in the market to replace my 2006 factory speakers on my RG. I was considering purchasing the Boom factory replacement speakers but after reading a lot of posts something tells me that would not be much of an improvement. Does anyone here favor the Hog Tune factory replacement over the Boom?

·
Registered
376 Posts
The boom audio isn't hardly worth the money. It's not that much better and for what you would spend buying it new you could get something really nice aftermarket.

I ran Hogtunes in my '13, not that impressive. Then I got the Hogtunes 4 channel amp, and it still wasn't much better.

I ended up dumping it all and spending the money and going with Biketronics. Top of the line stuff, they give a forum discount, and they have a lifetime warranty, and their stuff is mostly plug and play. J&M also sells some decent stuff from what I've heard, but also gets mixed reviews. So do a little homework and make sure you're getting a decent bang for your buck.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I don't know about the HD boom system but it seems that most everyone that gets a Hogtunes system ends up upgrading to a better system.
I started out using a Hogtunes system and IMO the equipment is of good to excellent quality and the customer service is outstanding but even though the Hogtunes were better than the stock setup it still seemed a little under powered.
I ended up selling the Hogtunes stuff and went with J&M.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I agree with Biketronics. For less than Hogtunes setup you can get a plug and play system from biketronics. Also excellent customer service and forum discount. You could even get their plug and play amp kit and buy Focal or Arc speakers seperately for less than the Hogtunes set up

·
Registered
449 Posts
There are a lot of aftermarket options, from building your own system to purchasing a "plug-n-play" system...it all depends on your budget, wants/needs, ease of installation etc.

I would recommend researching all your options and choosing what you feel fits you best...IMO I would look at others before the HT & Boom.

·
Registered
352 Posts
When I bought my bike it already had a Hogtunes system in it 5x7s in the fairing, 5.25s in rear pods and I believe their 160 watt 4 channel amp........ sounds good in garage riding a different story..... it works ok for now but its on my list of things to upgrade.
But then again in my opinion if you are getting great sound and listening pleasure out of your speakers, your pipes are not loud enough!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Pilo, set a budget and let the audio experts here or over at HDForums lead you in the right direction.

IMHO anything "Boom" is throwing good money at bad. Hogtunes is better but still not the best bang for the buck.

If you want a slick Plug n Play system that will sound killer in the garage or on the road check out Biketronics.

If you don't mind getting your hands a bit dirtier there are other less expensive options that will get you close.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I don't know about the HD boom system but it seems that most everyone that gets a Hogtunes system ends up upgrading to a better system.
I started out using a Hogtunes system and IMO the equipment is of good to excellent quality and the customer service is outstanding but even though the Hogtunes were better than the stock setup it still seemed a little under powered.
I ended up selling the Hogtunes stuff and went with J&M.

I bypassed Hogtunes and went straight to J&M. Did their 360 watt 4 channel amp, and 7 1/2 inch speakers, with a Jensen tuner.

·
Registered
931 Posts
The boom audio isn't hardly worth the money. It's not that much better and for what you would spend buying it new you could get something really nice aftermarket.

I ran Hogtunes in my '13, not that impressive. Then I got the Hogtunes 4 channel amp, and it still wasn't much better.

I ended up dumping it all and spending the money and going with Biketronics. Top of the line stuff, they give a forum discount, and they have a lifetime warranty, and their stuff is mostly plug and play. J&M also sells some decent stuff from what I've heard, but also gets mixed reviews. So do a little homework and make sure you're getting a decent bang for your buck.

Dead on, only went with Arc Audio, wish I would've done it right the 1st time! But now have a wicked system!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Like everyone has said, boom and HT not worth the coin at all. You only mentioned speakers and at the risk of being that guy you can spend a ton of money on speakers, but they won't truly wake up until you get an amp in the mix. I'm on my second bike with biketronics and what hasn't been mentioned is their lifetime warranty. Lifetime is a really long time. I started my audio upgrades with JM, will never have their stuff in my bike again - grossly overpriced and barely better than Boom/HT.

A lot of it depends on budget, need/willingness to feed the addiction after you get a taste of a real system, need to keep FM, desire for more features from HU, blah blah blah

·
Registered
987 Posts
Don't forget about Hawg Wired. I have had Hog tunes, J&m and Biketronics but I like the Hawg Wired better than the others. Biketronics is a close second in my book.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts