Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 30,000 miles on Rushmore touring bikes,m I've decided to try just about anything other than ducking my head down by my knees to get rid of the glare coming off the BOOM! infotainment/deathray screen. First I tried screen protectors, then angled plexiglass, even tried taping a piece of plastic to hang over it. All failed. Then one day I found an old CD case--the kind that you'd have in your car with all the 'mix tapes' your gf gave you. Gave me an idea. What ended up on the bike is documented in a video I just uploaded to YouTube. Definitely not Tesla-level genius going on here, but i had to do something before I set out on a SaddleSore 3000 this weekend. Feel free to provide feedback on the YouTube comments and/or here. This is just one solution--maybe someone else has a better one or improvements that could make this better. Let you know how it goes when I get back next week....

https://www.youtube.com/enhance?v=Rji6qGB7qBY

·
Registered
127 Posts
Um, I think I would just take it out before doing that mod.

I did notice the new Yamaha seems to have addressed this issue somewhat with placement and a recessed screen.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Works for me!! Thanks for the idea. I've just been sticking my bandanna into the vent and letting it hang over; works until a gust of wind blows it straight up.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so I just used this thing on my 3000-mile ride. Works fairly well, the weight in the cd case is critical, otherwise it blows all over. Velcro held up fine in rain, high winds, and bump roads, and let me take it off and stow it for night riding. It's useful in regular riding consitions too, not just death ray glare. You're looking at the screen which is angled up, so you're seeing the black underside of the propped cover instead of sky light in the reflection. On I-80 east across Nevada and Utah it was a big help. Did not interfere with air flow through the top vent. I need to replace the stick with a piece of steel or aluminum in a z-bend to get the geometry just right. Also would like a wider piece of fabric for the visor, as the light does get in on the screen around the edges. But for a $7 fix, it did everything I needed it to. Might try to find some better materials and make something less ghetto here soon....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts