Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys please excuse if this is just the norm but I just purchased my first 15 HD RGS and upgraded the speakers to the stage 2 and bigger amp from the dealership. just to preface I also upgraded to a stage 1 headers and exhaust with breather....so at highway speeds I usually can barely hear the speakers does that have to do with the speed volume or needing a better windshield, needing more speakers and amps ....all of the above?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just put the boom audio speakers and amp on mine too and the dealer said that the auto volume control doesn't work with the amp so they disconnected it.
I did faring, lowers and tour pack. still didn't hear it too well at 80 mph with my 10" wind vest so I just ordered a 16". hoping that does the trick.
Dealer screwed up my faring doing the install so now they are patching and painting it now too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya its pretty upsetting I don't want to do the rest of the stage 2 if its not going to perform.....

·
Registered
8,757 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just upgraded to the HD 300w amp and the boom stage 2 speakers. Works great at all speeds. Now sounds louder and clearer at 3/4 volume than when run on full volume before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have the boom 2, with saddle bag speakers. I have screaming eagle pipes and at HWY speeds sounds great, my speed sensitive volume also works great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went to HD last night and got the upgrade firmware and I am very pleased sound at highway speed is great!!!

·
Registered
760 Posts
My bike is a 2011 old style stereo/cd player
The firmware flashes only apply to the '14 and up bikes. You don't have to worry about that stuff on '13 and older - go aftermarket amp and speakers and you'll be very happy. Can even sell your stock head unit and make enough to easily cover most of the cost of a top of the line aftermarket head unit and adapter to keep handlebar controls. Opinions on aftermarket audio are about as varied as those on "what's the best oil". I won't waste your time with my opinion, but would suggest you go check the classified section of this and other forums. Whatever brand you see the most of for sale - stay away from it - it's for sale for a good reason.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm curious if you know what settings or procedure it is for the stage 2 speakers dealer flash. My dealer was supposed to flash for the amp and stage 2 fairing speakers in my 2015 RGS but I'm still having issues and I'm pretty sure both mid's are blown out again after only turning the volume up to 1/2 in my garage.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'm curious if you know what settings or procedure it is for the stage 2 speakers dealer flash. My dealer was supposed to flash for the amp and stage 2 fairing speakers in my 2015 RGS but I'm still having issues and I'm pretty sure both mid's are blown out again after only turning the volume up to 1/2 in my garage.
That's the million dollar question that the MOCO hasn't been able to solve yet. What works great on one bike is junk on another.
I'd love to trade my 13 on a Rushmore, but won't even talk to a dealer until the audio issues get 100% resolved so I can go aftermarket without a problem and I see some colors that interest me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Today I went down and sat with my service buddy and I don't remember where it popped up from but we did for sure find the boom stage 2 flash setting. Now I just have to bring the speakers that got ruined from the wrong programming back. This thread was a big help. We wouldn't have even known there was an actual setting to search for since the instructions suck so bad

·
Registered
19 Posts
ya its pretty upsetting I don't want to do the rest of the stage 2 if its not going to perform.....
Save your money, I had the the same upgrade installed on my 2015 RGS and wish I had found the J&M audio system before I did it. I installed a 12" Klock Werks windshield and that seemed to help more then attempting to get the music louder.Lets face it, we are making our bikes louder with pipes,and we are cutting threw the wind burning up miles faster then ever before creating more wind noise, and if that's not enough most states do not have a helmet law so that compounds the issue which is wind noise drowning out the the music.
I don't think we have enough room to install speakers and amps to solve the problem.I am looking at helmet installed sound systems which yes will require me to wear a helmet,boo!
Recap is, my first Harley top speed was 80 MPH going down hill with a good tail wind,my last 2003 bagger after building a new engine would perform well over 100 MPH but the batwing was never designed to move so fast causing issue which could not be solved,my new 2015 RGS behaves very well at 100 MPH and in fact I find myself cranking out the miles most of the day at 85 or better when touring. Perhaps wearing a helmet is not a bad idea which may solve more problems then attempting to buy more sound system components,and replacing windshields, not to mention the safety issue being is we are not the only vehicle on the road capable of moving faster then ever before.
Just my 2 cents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts