Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, I apologize if this issue has been beaten to death but I did not find any threads that addressed the subject directly.

Can anyone tell me if this is worth the $$ to move from the Booms to some JM Rokkers XX in the faring? Also, on a RG will the Boom tweeters work with the JM's?

·
Registered
852 Posts
IMO, it depends what you are pushing them with.

If you are running a decent size amp or plan to upgrade to a amp later on, then yes.

If you are just running off the head unit and are not going to add an amp now or in the future, then any improvement will be marginal and not worth the $$$ and time.

Please understand...my opinion and $5.00 will get you coffee at Starbucks. ;)

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I kept $3.50 and got my coffee from 7-11 but I have the same opinion as Sloride..........Stock head unit, I think the Booms are very competitive and a lot less expensive. If running an amp I'd upgrade--Personally, my stock head unit and Boom fairing speakers can be heard at 80 so I'm good.........I do wish I had more base, but I'd also rather put my coin in other places for now.......

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah ive already installed a JM 250 into it and also have the HT tweeters. Iit does sound good with the Boom but just want a little more clarity. I dont think the Boom speakers can handle the amp so was looking to upgrade to the Rokkers. Now I have to figure out if I need to buy their tweeters or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not saying that the J&M Rokker series are not better than HD Boom, but please do your homework and read as many reviews as you can before you drop the big bucks! I spent just under $2k on J&M Rokker audio at Street Vibes this year and don't feel like I got my monies worth.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Not saying that the J&M Rokker series are not better than HD Boom, but please do your homework and read as many reviews as you can before you drop the big bucks! I spent just under $2k on J&M Rokker audio at Street Vibes this year and don't feel like I got my monies worth.
What don't you like about J&M and what would do different? I'm looking for a true plug and play system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The J&M stuff is truly plug and play but it is not worth the price they charge and is definitely not as crystal clear as they claim and as their demo bikes are. When they play their demo bike at their trailer display they turn it up all the way and it sounds crystal clear with no distortion. My bike starts distorting at half volume and I paid $250 for the wireless Bluetooth kit for my Iphone and when I use it I get engine whine noise on acceleration and deceleration through the speakers. What a disappointment!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I just looked because I have the J&m in the fairing and love em.the difference in the tour pak speakers is only 10 bucks from harley boom to J&M from directcycleparts.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Got my full J&M set up from ebay from sellers like Eastern Performance Cycle and others at lower than retail have the 500W 4ch amp the RoKkers XT front and back running iPod interface sounds great, spend $1300 to 1400 on the components installed myself. Could save few extra bucks for other system but that was the choice at the time.
Am pleased with the sound clear through and plenty of power. Its been reliable.
Running with cam upgrade and V&H Hi outputs no problem listening my tunes and entertaining for others.
Lots of choices out there.
Just remember bass will be cancelled while riding very difficult to judge a sound system at idle or engine off.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If you want clarity, (who doesn't?) send the HK to Iron Cross Audio for preamp outs. You will be amazed at the difference!!!

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
J&M did a test of the the Harley Boom on the 2014 bike and by just addding their 500 watt amp, they were impressed with the Boom Audio upgrade with their amp as it was putting out only 3 decibels less than the Rokkers.

(Part#2) 2014 HarleyUltra Vs J&M ROKKER XX StreetGlide Audio System - YouTube
Kind of interesting, I thought the J&M speakers should do a little better for all that is said. I hope the vendors sell the amp at a better price though, $850 seems just a little steep.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts