Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my back injury I have not been able to tolerate a lot of miles in the saddle so I am looking at options to bring my Road Glide with me on work trips and eventually other trips.

Borrowed a 5x8 V nose with a 5' interior height from a friend.

There was just enough room for the bike and me squeezing around it to tie it down. He lowered the suspension so I had to use a 6" drop hitch to haul it close to level.

Got the bike ready to ride.

It hauled pretty well behind the truck. Average MPG were just above 15 and I did feel bumps a little more with the trailer in tow. Worth it to have the bike with me.

It did take up 4 parking spaces because the hotel didn't have any pull through parking. I wanted to be able to load the bike nightly but pulling it out of the wheel chock was more challenging that I thought it would be so the bike got parked under the hotel overhang.

I rode to work every day and that was great, but I also got to explore the area a little.

Saw a little water

and stopped by the Air Force Armament Museum

·
Registered
386 Posts
That's awesome! Nothing wrong with trailering if you have to. I'll use my trailer if I'm worried about bad weather messing with my travel dates. When I do ride to my destinations I like to have time to take back roads and enjoy the trip instead of just chugging down the highway with the trucks and cagers. I once took 12 hours to take a 5.5 hr trip on my bike. My goal was not to take the interstate at all. It was an awesome trip.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
That's awesome. I'm glad to see you're getting out there. Now I'm jealous. Weather went shitty here again. 37 and raining. Was 75 yesterday.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
It did take up 4 parking spaces because the hotel didn't have any pull through parking. I wanted to be able to load the bike nightly but pulling it out of the wheel chock was more challenging that I thought it would be so the bike got parked under the hotel overhang.

Hey twowheeladdict, It looks like i have the same chock and also a bum leg. What i did was cut myself a pc of 1/2 inch plywood and laid it on the chock rails right in front of the aft swivel part of the chock, that sits right below the front tire. Kind of prevents the bike from going down in there quite as much but it will still hold it solid. Might give it a try, sure helped me, Comes right out of the chock easier now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
That's awesome. I'm glad to see you're getting out there. Now I'm jealous. Weather went shitty here again. 37 and raining. Was 75 yesterday.
Nice you had good weather yesterday. Here on the Tundra we haven't hardly hit 50 yet this year and a blizzard warning now. Looking at a foot of snow overnight.

·
Registered
950 Posts
That’s awesome. Been thinking of getting a trailer myself. Riding doesn’t bother me but most times i travel with my wife and kids and wish i had the bike there to ride a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Nothing wrong with trailering the bike if you have too. I have a 6x10 enclosed trailer and it works great but I'm thinking of upgrading to a 8 ft wide trailer so I have more room.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
This thread got me looking at trailers. With a wife who won't ride over 20 miles, sometimes it's nice to have an option of bringing the bike along. Does anyone have the Stinger folding trailer? It looks convenient but 8 inch tires scare me.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Since my back injury I have not been able to tolerate a lot of miles in the saddle so I am looking at options to bring my Road Glide with me on work trips and eventually other trips.

Borrowed a 5x8 V nose with a 5' interior height from a friend.

There was just enough room for the bike and me squeezing around it to tie it down. He lowered the suspension so I had to use a 6" drop hitch to haul it close to level.

Got the bike ready to ride.

It hauled pretty well behind the truck. Average MPG were just above 15 and I did feel bumps a little more with the trailer in tow. Worth it to have the bike with me.

I rode to work every day and that was great, but I also got to explore the area a little.

Saw a little water

and stopped by the Air Force Armament Museum

Looks like a perfect setup brother

Congrats

Swomack

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures. Glad you had a good trip and if trailering the bike gives you more riding time, then do it!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had the same trailer for my GSX-R when I was in the USA. went to several racetrack in the NE like VIR, Beaverun, Pocono and others.
That trailer is awesome, if well organized you can bring a lot of tools and some spares with you. If you find it usefull you might consider buying one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts