Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 21" Colorado Custom put on from day one on my new 11 RGC but the damn thing chatters when the brakes are applied and isnt smooth at all. almost like the rotors are warped...I tried slightly dragging then at higher speeds for a while thinking it was a pad seating issue it seems to help for only a little while . I called th wheel MFG and said to have my shop ck out the rotors see if they are true....
I did lower the front end 1" to copensate for the wheel size.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I have an appointment this Friday for some other work I will have my tech check it then......

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine squeaks, but no chatter, smooth until I stop, but at 5-10 mph to stop it squeaks like crazy. So I've been using the front brake until 10-15mph and then the rear to stop until it breaks in... only 300 miles on the bike since the wheel install, and most of it highway driving with no use of the brake.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Are you running 1-piece stainless rotors? I've had two sets warp on me. It only takes a little warpage to feel on these bikes. The first set took 6,000 miles, the second set warped in 300 miles. I'm using floating rotors now with no warpage yet. Oh, and I switched to better pads.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Scooterdog & Bostonphil, I will have them ck the rotors this Friday what pads did you change to?

There is no reason a guy should have to listen to howling or sqeeking brakes....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ScooterDog One piece rotors.....

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had the same issue with an 18" aftermarket rotor on my old Street Glide (to the point of sending them back and getting new ones) and know of several other people who have had the same issue with other brands. I switched back to Harley floating rotors and they were smooth as silk. Personally, I will never use any rotor other than Harley again.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a 21" and it does the same thing...

Every week is SharkWeek Beotches!!!!

My tech checked the rotors no problem there, said give it some time if the pads and rotor dont mary with each other after 2k on it send them back, I have had the 21 on since day one..I asked the wheel MFG if I needed diff pads there reply was no....

·
Registered
49 Posts
My tech checked the rotors no problem there, said give it some time if the pads and rotor dont mary with each other after 2k on it send them back, I have had the 21 on since day one..I asked the wheel MFG if I needed diff pads there reply was no....
I had the same problem. My pads were causing it. I changed the pads to a Kevlar pad. It was recommended by the seller I bought the rotors from. Before i changed the pads, my front brakes would make a bad squealing sound and would kinda "hum" at slow speeds. No i have no problems what so ever. Brakes work great and look even better!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts