Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has an 05' Road King and just had to replace his rear tire. After he did he noticed that he kept having to pump up the pressure for the rear brakes every time he used them. He said whenever he gets them pumped up they hold and that they don't leak down as long as he holds his foot on the break. We cannot find any leaks anywhere and he has bleed them and replaced the fluid twice with no luck at solving the issue. The brake fluid starts getting this white milky look to it after he uses it for a while. I think it is getting air in it somehow and the tiny air bubbles are what is giving it that look. Anyone have any ideas what may be going on?

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
My neighbor has an 05' Road King and just had to replace his rear tire. After he did he noticed that he kept having to pump up the pressure for the rear brakes every time he used them. He said whenever he gets them pumped up they hold and that they don't leak down as long as he holds his foot on the break. We cannot find any leaks anywhere and he has bleed them and replaced the fluid twice with no luck at solving the issue. The brake fluid starts getting this white milky look to it after he uses it for a while. I think it is getting air in it somehow and the tiny air bubbles are what is giving it that look. Anyone have any ideas what may be going on?
Time to rebuild the master cylinder. Did he use dot 5 when he bleed the brakes ?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Harley brakes are a sumbitch to bleed. Buy or borrow a MityVac and vacuum bleed them before you start rebuilding components. Might cure the problem.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I would definitely try pressure bleeding them before you rebuild or replace anything. Unless of course the wrong brake fluid or something other than brake fluid was used. If something other than brake fluid was used, say oil then start rebuilding or replacing because the seals and o-rings will deteriorate. I've been a mechanic in the auto industry for most of my life and you'll be amazed how many times people have put motor oil in the master cylinder

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll ask him tomorrow which fluid he used to see if that's the issue. He's been around bikes for a while so I did assume he knew what fluid to put in but I will double check.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
milky white is moisture , a rebuild will be in order , as we all know moisture will create rust , brake fluid is very hydroscopic ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts