Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had this happen about a year ago and cruise wouldn't work either. Took it to the dealer and they changed the brake switch in the handlebars and all was good. Now it's staying on again, only this time cruise still works. They told me at the dealer that if the brake light is on the cruise won't work. I changed the rear brake switch just because it was cheap and easy to get to, no change. I can push back on the front brake lever away from the bars, still stays on. I can lift the foot brake up all the way, stays on. I can do both at the same time and still no change. There actually have been a time or two that the cruise didn't work, but the last 400 miles it has worked as it should every time I've tried it. I know the brake light is still on while I'm riding because I've had friends follow while riding to watch for it and they said it never goes out. Any ideas of something easy to check that I haven't thought of? The last time I took my bike to the dealer the tech came out to tell me when I picked it up "man your bike hauls ass". Not really what I'm wanting to hear now that I've invested in a 124. Also, nothing has been changed on the bike in over a year a half as far as bars controls or anything like that.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
The dealer was right by saying that if the brake light stays on that the cruise will not work. Are you sure it isn't the running light you are seeing and not the brake light? If you're brake light is staying on and your cruise is working then you have a very unusual problem and you may need to take the bike to a electrical expert.

Reactions: Big_gary

·
Registered
989 Posts
Could it possibly be the bulb itself that shorted out and is staying in the lit up brake light position? Maybe give it a shot.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I'd narrow it down to what's actually logic, pull the bulb, ck wires with volt meter while operating the switches, even run leads off switches , ya gotta eliminate. ....
what doesn't work is the problem if the continuity flows
Sounds easy, good luck, you will likely need a hrlper..to hold your beer if ya don't use aligator clamps. ...don't short anything out

·
Registered
826 Posts
Could it possibly be the bulb itself that shorted out and is staying in the lit up brake light position? Maybe give it a shot.
Lil Chief
Definitely a good thing to check. If the break light filament blew, and fell down onto the tail light filament, it would cause both to light and - depending on which side popped - could also back-feed to light the other break light(s). I've only seen this happen a few times...but I have seen it happen.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, this may be a stupid question but on the FLTRX do you have to remove the tail light from the underside of the fender and disassemble it to get to the bulb? It's a different light than the ultra where you can just take the lens off to get to the bulb.

·
Registered
824 Posts
my freinds always tell me that my brake light stays on but when i check it, it works like it should. i have the custom dynamics led insert and they are just that bright, no one want's to ride behind me.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Ok, this may be a stupid question but on the FLTRX do you have to remove the tail light from the underside of the fender and disassemble it to get to the bulb? It's a different light than the ultra where you can just take the lens off to get to the bulb.

No you just remove the lens with a flat blade screwdriver. There will be a slotted area in the plastic lens most likely on the bottom.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got tired of messing with it and took it to the dealer. Ended up being a relay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts