Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put front and rear brakes on my 2017 FLTRXS. I bought Lyndall Racing 7254-Z PLUS for both. I am getting a noise when applying the front brakes like a chipping sound. They stop just fine and i did a couple of abs stops also no problem. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Take them off and put them back on again just to make sure they are on right.
Yes do that. Had the same thing happen one time and it was the little brake pad pin retainer deal. That was on a BMW but likely possible to get something off a little. Will also allow you to recheck the torques.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was by the dealer today and they said with the after market brakes i should put some anti squeak on the backing plates. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Was by the dealer today and they said with the after market brakes i should put some anti squeak on the backing plates. Any thoughts?
Some do it. I didn’t have to. Never understood why you would need grease between a piston and flat surface. No noise at all from my EBC’s. Only thing I did was clean them real good before installing them.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've installed a lot of Lyndall Gold + pads and never had an issue. Any new shinny spots on the rotors? Are the rotors warped? Might be a good idea to setup a dial indicator to check. Might just try cleaning the rotors a bit.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You can try blowing the brake dust out of the piston and dust boot area with compressed air, gently enough not to damage the boot, but hard enough to get in. A HD mechanic friend taught me that trick when I had a rear brake with lots of life in the pads that wouldn’t quit chirping.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

I spoke with a very nice young lady at Lydall and explained my situation. They sent me a new set of gold pads and they work outstanding no noise and brake very smoothly. I told them that they now have a customer for life.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Some do it. I didn’t have to. Never understood why you would need grease between a piston and flat surface. No noise at all from my EBC’s. Only thing I did was clean them real good before installing them.
because the brake pads are not tight up against the rotors, vibrations allow the pads to vibrate against the pistons. that can cause some weird harmonics and brake grease basically 'cushions' the pad to piston contact to prevent this. sometimes, you get lucky and don't need it.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
My rear pads started making a weird noise recently. Pads have less than 1k miles on them. Pulled them off and blew the dust out. Problem solved for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts