Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The limits listed in the 09' Service Manual are 0.4mm = 0.016"
I have just been trying to make sense out of the measurements listed in my 09' Service Manual and something doesn't jive.
Yesterday I went to Cascade Harley and measured the actual thickness of the front and rear new pads. Both measured 3mm. 3mm = 0.12". I think Harley got their cm and mm confused when they printed the manual or else they really mean that you can take the pads to the metal - almost. Me - I'm going to replace the pads at their half life = 1.5mm or 0.6"
What is the "real" answer?

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I don't know the answer off hand but the new brake pads are not very thick so so those measurements sound right. I replace the brake pads before they need to be replaced but it makes me feel better.

·
Administrator
10,494 Posts
look at yer decimal points ..

3 mm is .1181" or ruffly 12/100 of 1"

.4 mm ( less than one half of one mm ) is .0157" or 1 and a half /100 of one inch

JtB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jack - what'd I say?

What's wrong with my decimal points or measurements?

·
Administrator
10,494 Posts
you say new is three millimeters .12"

and the wear limit is point four millimeters .016"

3mm is quite a bit more than four tenths of one millimeter

.12 is way more than .016

JtB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OOPS !!!!! 1.5mm = 0.06"

·
Registered
483 Posts
its your bike , replace them when you feel its necessary and before they are into the rotor and dont worry about the measurements , sometimes you can over think something .

Eagle

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
its your bike , replace them when you feel its necessary and before they are into the rotor and dont worry about the measurements , sometimes you can over think something .

Eagle
They arent that difficult to change. You can take the rear caliper off without messing with the tire. I did my rear pads this past summer, havent needed to do the fronts yet. Just remember to do them BEFORE they become metal to metal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts