Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 road glide 53k miles.
Usually happens after it sits for three days .
Bike will roll and move but rear brakes cannot be activated !
Has anyone else had this problem I'm hearing that the ABS issue.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
The pedal won't move?? Sounds like rust in the pedal pivot, or a corroded master cylinder bore.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All is free and clean....
There is an internal issues HD knows about this between the years of 08 and 11
Just questioning if other had issue and their fix.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
ive never heard of this before and my 09 sits for several months due to new England weather. what did the dealer say the problem is?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Are you sure you have ABS? ABS was a option in 08 and most buyers didn't get ABS on their bikes in 08. I never heard of this problem so you may need to take the bike to the dealer for a fix.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
It's a known issue caused by lack of proper maintenance.

The Dot4 fluid needs to be flushed out every two years (or every year if you ride a lot in the rain). And to properly flush out the ABS valve body you need to interface with the ecm and run a valve body flush cycle. Either a Digiscan or a laptop with an interface is required.

During normal use the valve body is basically in bypass. So normal brake bleeding does not flush out the fluid in the body. This fluid draws moisture and corrodes the valves till they get too stiff to function properly.

·
Registered
630 Posts
2010 RGC went to the dealer for brake fluid flush,tech said abs module was bad cause of stiff front brake lever. Was having problems with rear pedal like yours. I'd put a crowbar between frame and pedal to get it to release. Yeah I know not good. $615.00 later my abs never worked this good. Was told it could lead to no brakes if not repaired. I ride hard and fast. But worried about people who ride with me so I had it fixed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The Dot4 fluid needs to be flushed out every two years (or every year if you ride a lot in the rain). And to properly flush out the ABS valve body you need to interface with the ecm and run a valve body flush cycle. Either a Digiscan or a laptop with an interface is required.

During normal use the valve body is basically in bypass. So normal brake bleeding does not flush out the fluid in the body. This fluid draws moisture and corrodes the valves till they get too stiff to function properly.
Correct!
Parts $325.00
Labor $175.00
I was asking others if they had experienced this and with the repair was .
Common between 08-11 model.
Bike does have abs.... Just a heads up for everybody else out there.
Get your fluid flushed.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
my wife's 2012 had this problem. under esp she ended up with a new rear master cylinder and a new abs module. my bill? $50 (whew)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll keep ya'all posted on the final diagnostics and the cost .
first bike I owned with ABS and I purchased it used , was not aware of the 2 year flush.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts

Help me out on this one. What does the rain have to do anything with it? It's a sealed system. And I am a firm believer of brake fluid flushes. My trucks get it done every 25k miles.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Help me out on this one. What does the rain have to do anything with it? It's a sealed system. And I am a firm believer of brake fluid flushes. My trucks get it done every 25k miles.
Motorcycle brake system are more exposed to the weather. On your truck the master cylinder is under the hood, and the calipers are in the wheel cone. They never get rained on, and the master is never exposed to high speed splashed water. Not to mention that it has very large reservoir of fluid with a more water secure cap. So prollu has the ability to hold 15 or 20 time as much moisture as the MoCo units before there is a critical amount of water. Also the piston end of the cylinder is protected by the booster. or open to the passenger compartment. And with all of that, the factory still feels the need to include fluid flushes as normal maintenance. l can also say the the few automotive ABS units I have dissembled all had stainless or plated valves in them. I have never seen whats in a MoCo unit, but it must be plane steel, or poorly coated aluminum.

Sealed, and moisture proof are two very different things. You can test brake fluid for moisture content, and old fluid that has been in service for a couple of years will show moisture. The rear master cylinder basically gets pressure washed on a wet road, because of it's location. And the calipers are being heat cycled while wet. Lots of opportunity for moisture to creep in. And lets not forget humidity. Metal tends to draw moisture when the air warms up faster than the metal, so even sitting in a garage, the system is exposed to moisture.

Add to that that just changing the fluid as in out with the old and in with the new does not change the fluid in the valve body, and you have the making of a service issue.

The same may be true on your truck, but at least with most cars and light trucks you can activate the system without hard to get special tools.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Motorcycle brake system are more exposed to the weather. On your truck the master cylinder is under the hood, and the calipers are in the wheel cone. They never get rained on, and the master is never exposed to high speed splashed water. Not to mention that it has very large reservoir of fluid with a more water secure cap. So prollu has the ability to hold 15 or 20 time as much moisture as the MoCo units before there is a critical amount of water. Also the piston end of the cylinder is protected by the booster. or open to the passenger compartment. And with all of that, the factory still feels the need to include fluid flushes as normal maintenance. l can also say the the few automotive ABS units I have dissembled all had stainless or plated valves in them. I have never seen whats in a MoCo unit, but it must be plane steel, or poorly coated aluminum.

Sealed, and moisture proof are two very different things. You can test brake fluid for moisture content, and old fluid that has been in service for a couple of years will show moisture. The rear master cylinder basically gets pressure washed on a wet road, because of it's location. And the calipers are being heat cycled while wet. Lots of opportunity for moisture to creep in. And lets not forget humidity. Metal tends to draw moisture when the air warms up faster than the metal, so even sitting in a garage, the system is exposed to moisture.

Add to that that just changing the fluid as in out with the old and in with the new does not change the fluid in the valve body, and you have the making of a service issue.

The same may be true on your truck, but at least with most cars and light trucks you can activate the system without hard to get special tools.

Very well explained. TY.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Week #1 update, Harley shop calls me this am. ABS module is installed.
Says they turn the bikes ignition switch on headlights come on the bike starts up and runs.
Although the battery volts are to low to do their checks.
Says I need to purchase a new battery....$240.. Plus labor to install!
Bought a new DEKA AGM battery today, new $135.00
Going to bike shop tomorrow in the a.m. to install my new battery in my bike so they can continue to do the work.
Can't wait to see what the Stealership has up their sleve next.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
wait, what?

$240 for a battery? and then to add labor for installation on top of that? that's a good $60 over msrp on that battery, which is highway robbery in and of itself.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
So they can't put a charger on that battery and get it built up enough to run their tests? BullShlt!

1) If the battery is just flat from sitting or or some other reason, like running the flush sequence on the antilock, the Harley charging system will have a hard time charging it back up just sitting there on the table.

2) If it will start the scooter, it's prolly not bad.

3) It's busy time, and the shop prolly doesn't want to take the time to charge it. Faster and more profitable for them to just shove another battery up your ars.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As of Friday 16:30 bike still in n shop has not been touched for the bleeding of the brake system.
Service man said may get it done/ on it tomorrow.
When I took the new replacement battery to the shop, I myself change it out in the parking lot a 10 minute job. I tested the old battery it did start the bike no issues!
CORRECT....They refused to put it on a battery charger/tender over night so they could complete their work the next day.
But why the HELL would you want to do that when you could sell a $240 battery plus an hour of labor!
Lol.....
Never again.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
As of Friday 16:30 bike still in n shop has not been touched for the bleeding of the brake system.
Service man said may get it done/ on it tomorrow.
When I took the new replacement battery to the shop, I myself change it out in the parking lot a 10 minute job. I tested the old battery it did start the bike no issues!
CORRECT....They refused to put it on a battery charger/tender over night so they could complete their work the next day.
But why the HELL would you want to do that when you could sell a $240 battery plus an hour of labor!
Lol.....
Never again.
I'd find another shop.

Reactions: LMS

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Saturday was in the area of the Harley shop around 17:00, so I dropped in to check.
Service personnel informed me that they were testing the system on the bike earlier that day and the ECM halfway through the test quit communicating with the HCU.
A $500.00 ECM is now on order.
Repair bill is now at $1,116.00

What's going on here guys?
Are they just throwing parts at this?
I have no words....

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
When you had the bike out in the parking lot, changing your battery, you should have rode off. Seems like they're talking it to ya, or/and don't know what they're doing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts