Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference in quality or fit between softbrake and kuryakyn to make it worth the difference in price?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Is there a difference in quality or fit between softbrake and kuryakyn to make it worth the difference in price?
My buddy has the soft brake. My kury is sitting right here on my table. I don't think so. But I've been known to be wrong. I just can't see paying twice the money. The kury has a grease fitting and is a lot heavier duty than I thought. But I shouldn't be too surprised. Everything I've ever bought from Kury was good quality.

Reactions: conn-e-rot

·
Registered
453 Posts
My buddy has the soft brake. My kury is sitting right here on my table. I don't think so. But I've been known to be wrong. I just can't see paying twice the money. The kury has a grease fitting and is a lot heavier duty than I thought. But I shouldn't be too surprised. Everything I've ever bought from Kury was good quality.
Good to know, I've been eyeballing the kury unit for a bit because it is cost effective and seems like it would do the job.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I got my Kuryakin (sp?) today and put it on to night. Took about an hour. the directions do not mentioning taking the engine guards loose, but you have to do it to get the pedal on. A really heavy and well-made piece of kit. Also that pin that connects the pedal to the brake cylinder is a bitch to deal with. Should have flats or something to hold on and turn it with. Have two pair of pliers ready. That cotter pin will fall out and hide in the frame if you are not careful. Hope it works as well as it looks.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I got my Kuryakin (sp?) today and put it on to night. Took about an hour. the directions do not mentioning taking the engine guards loose, but you have to do it to get the pedal on. A really heavy and well-made piece of kit. Also that pin that connects the pedal to the brake cylinder is a bitch to deal with. Should have flats or something to hold on and turn it with. Have two pair of pliers ready. That cotter pin will fall out and hide in the frame if you are not careful. Hope it works as well as it looks.
I just got my kuryakin extended brake pedal yesterday. As rfg7680 said, it is a nice piece. TY for the install details, probably do mine this weekend. There is a good youtube video of the install that references the crash bar and cotter pin issue.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Anybody running one of these (Soft or Kury) with lowers?

·
Registered
177 Posts
The instructions for mine (Mod. 9670) indicated that it would fit a bike '14 and up, touring and trike withOUT lowers. They probably do make another model to fit with lowers. 866-277-9598...

·
Registered
177 Posts
When removing the original brake pedal, remember that there is a small washer that goes between the back of the pedal and the cotter pin. I was wondering why there wasn't one when I took mine apart and found it today on the garage floor. Had to take the cotter pin out (which entails removing the foot board and supports) and put the washer on, then reinstall the cotter pin. I put a dab of grease on the washer to hold it in place also on the cotter pin to keep it from falling out of the hole until I got it spread.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Anybody running one of these (Soft or Kury) with lowers?

They make one for lowers and one for without lowers. I have been eying them up for some time now. Just not sure witch one i want as i only use my lowers for a few months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
The Kury one is on my list to do shortly.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
No need to undo any part of the crash bar or lowers. I put mine on this morning.

Remove the running board. You'll see 3 Allen heads. Remove them and wiggle the plate off the rubber mount. It will drop and it's all right there. No issue getting to the cotter pin. Loosen the main bolt on the brake pedal first. Thus way you're not trying to do it holding the backing plate. Literally took me 10 minutes to do.
@madmat

Reactions: Bevis

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
No need to undo any part of the crash bar or lowers. I put mine on this morning.

Remove the running board. You'll see 3 Allen heads. Remove them and wiggle the plate off the rubber mount. It will drop and it's all right there. No issue getting to the cotter pin. Loosen the main bolt on the brake pedal first. Thus way you're not trying to do it holding the backing plate. Literally took me 10 minutes to do.

@madmat

Put mine on Tuesday am, I had more of the judgedelta experience. About an hour, had to move the crash bar. It took longer to put the flat washer and cotter pin back on (times includes dropping both twice into no man's land).

It will take a little getting used to the new position but I think I am going to like it. The reason I did this is because my 12 brake pedal seemed to be taller than the 17. Might sound stupid but the toe of my boot would barely fit under the pedal and made me a little nervous in a couple of close calls.

Maybe with and without lower pedals are different lengths?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Put mine on Tuesday am, I had more of the judgedelta experience. About an hour, had to move the crash bar. It took longer to put the flat washer and cotter pin back on (times includes dropping both twice into no man's land).

It will take a little getting used to the new position but I think I am going to like it. The reason I did this is because my 12 brake pedal seemed to be taller than the 17. Might sound stupid but the toe of my boot would barely fit under the pedal and made me a little nervous in a couple of close calls.

Maybe with and without lower pedals are different lengths?
My boot didn't fit under the stock pedal also. And with my rain gear on lifting my leg to hit the brake was a chore. You're right. It's going to take a minute to get used to. Have to use more toe pressure. Before my leg weight just smashed the brakes on.

Reactions: madmat

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Not familiar with kury's brake pedal & im sure it's good but softbrake is top notch and comes in different extended lengths to your liking. Have used them on my last two bikes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts