Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every night, I park my bike facing downhill. Every morning, I have to pump up the front brakes. When I first get on the bike, the front brake lever can be pulled all the way to the grip. They function normally after 5-10 pumps; no codes, ABS or otherwise. What causes this?

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Does it do it when the bike is parked the other way? Sounds like there's air in the system. Unfortunately you'll need to take it to the dealer to have them bleed the ABS brakes properly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response!! I haven't tried parking it the other way (facing uphill), because it's difficult to turn it around. Backing up to turn around on gravel is no fun in the dark. :)

Shoot. Well, it's going in for 15K mile service next Wednesday anyway. I'll have them check it out.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Could be a bad front brake master cylinder. It is not normal to have to pump up the brake system after the bike has been sitting.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's weird, for sure. It doesn't happen after sitting on a level surface for extended periods, like when I get on it after work. Only after it's been sitting on the hill...

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
If it's still covered by a warranty let the dealer look at it. Like Ironmark mentioned it shouldn't do that no matter where or how you park

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's probably not covered, as I changed out the handlebars, and therefore, the lines as well, a couple of months ago. Whatevs, I'll pay if I have to. ?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Sounds like the brakes need to be properly bled by the Dealer...

Let us know if that does it for you...

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
It's probably not covered, as I changed out the handlebars, and therefore, the lines as well, a couple of months ago. Whatevs, I'll pay if I have to. ?
How did you end up bleeding the brakes when you swapped everything?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
You don't need the dealer to bleed them anymore than you need them to change your oil. There are a couple inexpensive methods and both work well.

1. Vacuum bleed from the calipers
2. Gravity bleed into an old soda bottle (one per side).

I've used both methods with my bike and never had a problem.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You don't need the dealer to bleed them anymore than you need them to change your oil. There are a couple inexpensive methods and both work well.

1. Vacuum bleed from the calipers
2. Gravity bleed into an old soda bottle (one per side).

I've used both methods with my bike and never had a problem.
Yep!! I used a Mity-Vac when I originally did the swap, including the hydraulic clutch. Everything was working great until a couple days ago. Maybe the brake pads are worn...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Follow up: could it be REALLY worn brake pads? I looked at them earlier, and they looked pretty thin.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I'd get them bled by the dealer. They have to use a computer to activate the ABS to get everything to bleed properly. The mity-vac I don't believe is good enough to get the air completely out of the system. Of course is your pads are low change them too but it will still need to be bled again

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, going in Wednesday morning, so it'll be handled no matter what.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I went on a ride on Sunday, and just about lost all front brake. Drove to work yesterday and today, but got new pads this morning, and just swapped them in. Looks like it was thin pads after all. Still going in tomorrow morning, so I'll post an update after I get it back.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thin pads and low fluid as a result of the thin pads were the culprits. Thanks for all of the suggestions!! :)

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Glad you got it straightened out

1 - 19 of 19 Posts