Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my brake pads with HD OEM replacements about 500mi ago. Everything went well and they perform fine. Recently though I've started to hear squeal from both the front and rear. It's not everytime, but is intermittent.

Is this something I should worry about, or is there something I should check ? Going to Sturgis in a few weeks so don't want any issues on the road...

THANKS

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Did you apply silicone lubricant to the metal contact points (back of the pads and slide pins)? Also pull the pads back off and check the surface of them to make sure they aren't glazed over. If they are then scuff it up with a fine sandpaper to remove that glaze, then apply the brake silicone lubricant on the back of the pads and the pins.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rear pads came with grease that was applied to the two circles where the pistons touch them; front pads didn't have the grease. I guess glazing might be the case since they were fine for 500mi's or so. Still don't see any issues with braking performance, just the noise when the brake is applied lightly.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
If you don't mind hearing the squealing and everything still stops good then don't worry about it, otherwise I would do what I previously suggested. You'll be amazed how well applying the brake grease to the metal contact points works. Believe it or not

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.