Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the Heritage bars on my bike. Didn't need the Throttle Grip Sensor that they tell you you need. The issue I'm having is the front brake lever is a bit away from the brake switch plunger. The brake lights were staying on and the cruise obviously wouldn't engage. I put 3 small pieces of felt tape on the brake lever and that appeared to be enough to engage the plunger. Of course this is only a temporary fix. It seems when I tighten the clamp that has the master cylinder, lever and right mirror, the action of tightening it actually pulls the lever away from the plunger. Sorry to be so long winded, just wanted to know if any of you have experienced this or anything similar. Thanks in advance.

Too Short

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just installed my bars last week, did not have any issues with the brake lever, did have to fiddle with everything to get it to line up properly. I would take loosen the controls back up and check to make sure it all lined up again. I know not much help but noticed had to make sure the alignment tits got in the right place before tightening the controls.

·
Registered
951 Posts
A HD tech told me that is a common thing when you change bars. Sorry but I didn't think to ask how to avoid it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah, when I bought my bike, I figured I'd save a $77 shop fee and put my new girps on myself. The end result, I broke the switch (which you did), placed a small piece of felt on the lever to fill the gap so my lights wouldn't stay on, and later paid HD $118.00 to fix it.

When I talked to the service guy, he stated right away "Change your grips? Happens all the time." Apparently that little switch is not very durable.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Welcome to the club. Broke my switch too. Put a small set screw ( got screw from the RC planes I build) where the plunger was and haven't looked back. That was about 5000 ago.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't believe I broke anything. I was so slow, careful, and meticulous when I disassembled it. I have taken them apart on all my other bikes I've owned with no problems. Tell me what I broke and how. Why is the dealer the only one that knows how to fix it? What exactly did they do to correct it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
489 Posts
When I had mine fixed, the service guy said they're very very easy to break. His service guys apparently do it frequently also and they just replace it. As for what you could have broken, I have no idea. I've never actually beein into one of those switches.

I don't believe I broke anything. I was so slow, careful, and meticulous when I disassembled it. I have taken them apart on all my other bikes I've owned with no problems. Tell me what I broke and how. Why is the dealer the only one that knows how to fix it? What exactly did they do to correct it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
277 Posts
TS, look between the brake lever and the switch housing. You will see a small rubber boot. Have to look real close as it is small. There is a plunger in there that is easily broken if you don't put the shim (cardboard or a tie wrap is what I use now) b/w the lever and housing. the shim should go almost in line with the stock mirror stem. If the shim isn't in there, the lever will most likely break that plunger piece.

As I stated earlier, I put a very small set screw in the hole in the boot and it works fine. I would try and take a pix, but I don't think it will show up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts