Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cold weather boredom has set in so just wondering - who has had thier bike break down on the road / bike / what was the problem / towed or not / fix?

2011 RGU / electrical system failure / towed / fried stator & VR were replaced

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Ran out of gas once on my FXR. Walked and got gas and walked back kicking myself all the way. lol

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
2008 FLTR Starter problems/ Bike towed/ Starter replaced/ Eventually replaced compensator with SE Compensator

·
Registered
372 Posts
Installed new grips..
The next morning bike started right up. no issues. On the way to work I stopped at dunkin donuts for my usual medium coffee.
When I went to start the bike, nothing.... not even a click...

It turned out I did not properly seat the clutch lever onto the neutral switch.
It must be been barely touching it allowing me to start it one time..

I unloosened the switch cover & moved the lever a bit until it seated properly...
started right up. and my coffee still hot.!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've had two (2) rear tire tube failures at speed. They were both in 2005, a day apart!!!

The first one, two-up, at 50mph on US 6 in PA. Got stopped fine and, though it was Sunday, managed to find a dealer nearby who opened his shop to replace the tube.

Unfortunately, he did something wrong--probably pinched the tube on the rim. The next day, on I-81 in Shenandoah, passing a truck at ~75 mph, the rear tube blew again. While I was able to cross over in front of the truck, to the right shoulder (he saw what was happening and braked hard), I wasn't able to then get the bike heading down the shoulder, and went off into some very large clumps of sod., where I lost control.

Did a low-side, then a high-side, which launched my wife and me off the bike---somehow crossing paths in mid-air.

Totaled the bike (an '02 Kawasaki 1500 Classic), but both walked away unscathed. Called a buddy in NC, who came and got us and the bike.

I don't ride tube tires anymore. :)

I might add that my wife hit hard on her face. I have no doubt she would have been injured without her flip-up helmet.

I don't ride without flip-up helmets, either :)
Currently using Nolans, but I'll be trying the new Shoei after Christmas.

·
Registered
671 Posts
This is an ALMOST FU..
I was out on my 96 Fatboy one day, Combination of Interstate and country roads, and city riding... When I pulled into my garage back home, I noticed a trail of liquid drops behind me. Quickly realized it was OIL.. and now it was puddling under neath the ole 96.. I tossed some newspapers under it to catch the oil and waited a while for it to cool down.
Well.. long story short.. The leak was from my oil pump bolts backing out.. I walked down the driveway.. down the road a bit.. maybe 100 feet to where the drops began.. It had just started.. Could have been a bad day out on the road.. Guess ya get lucky sometimes..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts