Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it necessary to break-in after a build before doing a tune? I recently went to a 103 from a 96, installing cams and pistons as well. Bike originally had 26,000 miles on it. My indy wants me to put at least 500 miles on it before it goes on the dyno.

I know that 500 miles is not much, but I go away in two weeks and between work and rain, I may have to tune it when I get back.

Thanks in advance.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
If it were me, I'd follow the indy's instructions. I've always broke in a new engine. But, I'm sure you'll get a lot of different opinions. Good luck & keep us informed on how things work out for you.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It kind of depends. If you have a decent tune in the bike then you should put about 500 miles on it, however if you don't have a decent tune you can do major damage riding a bike around. A good dyno operator can break the motor in on the dyno where it is in a controlled environment and he can monitor what is going on. Try to find a map that matches up to your motor. If the bike runs decent then put the miles in. If it doesn't run decent then stop what you are doing.

Too little fuel can overheat the cylinders and F them up, too much fuel can wash down the cylinder walls and F them up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you got bored out to 103, you've got new pistons, rings and cylinder walls. A good tune has nothing to do with having the rings and cylinder walls seat in properly. I would suggest you check out what S&S recommends as far as breaking in a new build. I'm in the middle of it right now with a new 106 kit. 50 miles under 2500 RPM's, then an oil change. Then another 500 miles under 3500 RPM's and another oil change. Then you can ride it harder, but not like you stole it until 1000 miles. They specifically say do not drag race or do any dyno runs before then. Being patient sucks, but I've got a lot of money in my build and I'm gonna do it like the experts recommend. This advise mirrors that from Dragos, who I bought my stuff from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts