Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

This is not really about break in procedure but more about maintenance on a new motor.

HD recommends the first oil change at 1,000 but I was thinking about doing an oil change at 500 to lessen the amount of metal during this process.

The other day I rethought this, does HD put in a "break in" oil that is really suppose to be there for 1,000 miles or
am I on the right track to do this early and switch to syn3? Maybe they use a heavier weight oil for this first 1,000 miles?

Thanks for any advice, I openly admit that I am not as smart as the design engineers but I just want to do what is best for the motor and an early oil change seems right.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
My opinion (for what it is worth) is that filter and the magnets on the drain plugs do their job so I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to change early and then change again at 1000 miles, put in what comes from the factory. I've heard differing opinions on what actually comes from the factory.

Are you planning to run this engine for 100,000 miles? If not, it doesn't really matter. The most I've ever been able to get on a bike before I was ready for something else is 60,000 miles with 30,000 miles being my average before getting something else.

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I would suspect that there is an extra additive package in the factory fill oil. That's why they want it out of there in 1000 miles. Molly or copper, or any number of things that can damage converters over the long term. So draining it too soon could be an issue too.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
I am no expert, but my owners manual showed to change at 1,000. The dealer also stated the same and with that dealer, the first oil change was on them. HD engineers are a lot better to recommend what should be done than I, so I went with 1,000 for the change.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I am no expert, but my owners manual showed to change at 1,000. The dealer also stated the same and with that dealer, the first oil change was on them. HD engineers are a lot better to recommend what should be done than I, so I went with 1,000 for the change.
EXACTLY!!!! IMHO, the engineers are so much smarter about the products than I am so I will listen to what they have to say. I used to try and second guess them but realized that maybe they knew a bit more about their product than I did. That said - I'll follow the manual and the recommended schedule.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
There is no magic in break in. Changing at 500 miles is a waste of time and oil but if it helps someone sleep ok. Bunch of folks sat around slamming a few brews and smoking some stuff. They came up with a line of breakin's. The 60-30- 60 the 60-90-100 they branded it heat skinking all all kind of stuff. Then got a good laugh out of how many fell for it.
There is no Such thing as break in oil nor is there anything added to the factory fill of oil or lubes. Few years back they were trying to push a $500 DYNO break in. Some fell for it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The break in of the motorcycle in the first 50 to 100 miles is more about breaking in the tires , clutch and the brakes than it is about the engine. The tires can be slick until they are scuffed in and you don't want to glaze the clutch or brakes either before they have time to seat in. I spent 42 years in the industrial engine business and all new engines are filled with the normal recommended oil at the factory. Some engine companies do put dies in the oil just to make sure the owner changed oil as recommended in case there is a failure. Just follow the manufactures recommendations and you will be good.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Split the difference and don't lose any sleep............. 750- 800 miles and change the oil :)

Only 1/2 kidding by the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The break in of the motorcycle in the first 50 to 100 miles is more about breaking in the tires , clutch and the brakes than it is about the engine. The tires can be slick until they are scuffed in and you don't want to glaze the clutch or brakes either before they have time to seat in. I spent 42 years in the industrial engine business and all new engines are filled with the normal recommended oil at the factory. Some engine companies do put dies in the oil just to make sure the owner changed oil as recommended in case there is a failure. Just follow the manufactures recommendations and you will be good.
This ^

·
Administrator
10,507 Posts
With the better oils and metallurgy these days is not as critical as it once was .. We had an almost religious procedure on shovelheads and panheads when it came to changing oil and heat cycles .. They had terrible oil and fuel control ..

·
Administrator
10,507 Posts
As for break in procedure :

1) pull bike out of the dealers show room

2) light off the motor in dealer parking lot

3) get engine up to temp

4) put shifter in third gear

5) bounce tach off rev limiter

6) dump clutch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts