Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes it’s been written up before but my brother came up with a great idea while I was doing it. I over filled my bike. It’s a 17 ultra. Water cooled. Not air. So I got the wrong amount of oil from my local shop. Bike proceeded to shit all over the right side. Saddle bag. Head pipe. Muffler. So that’s what led me to do this.

Drilled through trailng edge of Screamin eagle sneaky peet. Through the last pleat. No permannent damage. And I can reach the line to pull it off air filter for service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
685 Posts
Possibilities vs. Probabilities: could it go horribly wrong? sure ... It's possible. Anything can... But is it the most probable outcome? I think not.

Anybody remember how much fun it used to (not) be to safety wire the 3 air cleaner bolts? The factory didn't do it ...but one of those could easily come loose and get sucked in the engine... The stock Ham Can on my old 82 was safety wired.

Hay everybody wants the drippy breather line routed clean, out of the way, and somewhere it isn't going to dump all over the engine. Yet god forbid one tries to go up and over for fear that it may suck backwash/moisture into the engine. So this guy comes up with an alternative that's actually kind of clever, I think.

Could the plastic Y fitting age crack and shatter, sure...in like 20 years. But I think/hope that someone would think to service the air filter before then.

So maybe we just appreciate the guy sharing his idea and lighten up a little..

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Possibilities vs. Probabilities: could it go horribly wrong? sure ... It's possible. Anything can... But is it the most probable outcome? I think not.

Anybody remember how much fun it used to (not) be to safety wire the 3 air cleaner bolts? The factory didn't do it ...but one of those could easily come loose and get sucked in the engine... The stock Ham Can on my old 82 was safety wired.

Hay everybody wants the drippy breather line routed clean, out of the way, and somewhere it isn't going to dump all over the engine. Yet god forbid one tries to go up and over for fear that it may suck backwash/moisture into the engine. So this guy comes up with an alternative that's actually kind of clever, I think.

Could the plastic Y fitting age crack and shatter, sure...in like 20 years. But I think/hope that someone would think to service the air filter before then.

So maybe we just appreciate the guy sharing his idea and lighten up a little..
Its an issue of the severity of the problem being fixed, compared to the risk of a much more severe problem being introduced.

Hope is not a service strategy. As a rule of thumb, anything that can get sucked into the throttle body gets double retention. The backing plate bolts have mechanical locks as well as chemical locks. That hose has slip over barbs. Down the road when that fuel hose has softened up and the barbs have been lubed by oil vapor, how tight will the connection be? Tight enough to resist the turbulence and air flow. Probably it will be fine. But if it goes the other way, a nuisance oil carry over problem just became a big issue. The amount of effort needed to do it properly wont seem like much while you wait on the roll back truck.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Down the road when that fuel hose has softened up and the barbs have been lubed by oil vapor, how tight will the connection be?
Okay, now try it from the other direction ... How tight does it really need to be? It doesn't have any high internal pressure trying to separate it, but it does have a fair amount of static external pressure holding it together simply by virtue of it being stuffed into the air filter.

As long as they use the right size line for the fitting, I don't see it ever going anywhere. And there are existing low pressure applications that use that type of fitting without any clamps or issues. Like vacuum lines and windshield washer lines which both use a lot flimsier tubing than the reinforced line he's got in the pictures above.

Now given how thin the overall air filter is. If you want to worry about performance issues caused by that amount of tubing potentially blocking the airflow ... That I won't argue.. :smile:

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Wouldn't be easier to just add less oil next time ?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wouldn't be easier to just add less oil next time ?

Yep a whole lotta time can be saved just putting in what the service manual for that bike calls for in the first place.

And an engine does a lot better dealing with sucking a little oil than it does sucking down parts put in so you can successfully overfill the oil and have it drain on the bottom of the frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So when I grow up and figure out how to drill/tap where the breather bolts go I’ll do it. Doing an iron butt home and did not want all that shit still going in. And I’m .5 quart low and it’s still coming out. Not near as bad as it was on the way up but it is still coming out.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correction. I get the drill/tap. But once you install the lines back there what do it ou change the breather bolts with or how do you plug them so it stops coming into the TB

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Okay, now try it from the other direction ... How tight does it really need to be? It doesn't have any high internal pressure trying to separate it, but it does have a fair amount of static external pressure holding it together simply by virtue of it being stuffed into the air filter.

As long as they use the right size line for the fitting, I don't see it ever going anywhere. And there are existing low pressure applications that use that type of fitting without any clamps or issues. Like vacuum lines and windshield washer lines which both use a lot flimsier tubing than the reinforced line he's got in the pictures above.

Now given how thin the overall air filter is. If you want to worry about performance issues caused by that amount of tubing potentially blocking the airflow ... That I won't argue.. :smile:
You have no idea as to what takes place at the face of the throttle body.

If it came loose, its down the intake faster than you can say whoops. And that hose has a woven reinforcement, so it was intended to be terminated with a clamp.

As for the why, the turbulence and pressure differential at the face of that throttle body is excessive. And it will be constantly sucking on that hose, every moment that the motor is running. Maybe the hose holds up. And maybe it don't. If it don't and gets sucked in, then you have a bigger problem. It's not going to pass through like the purpose built rubber breather tubes, its reinforced and much too long. So it's going to jack a valve open. Sure, it will probably hold up 9 times out of ten, and he hopes that his is one of the 9. That brings us back to hope. He hopes it holds. He hopes it doesn't get sucked all the way in, he hopes it doesn't jack that valve open far enough to hang up the exhaust valve. Hope has no place in the repair of motor vehicles.

Now before you come back with some whitty unsupported retort, go out and open up the air box on your scooter. Start it up and rev the motor to just an easy 2500-3000 rpm. Then with a good heavy glove on, ease your hand over the face of the throttle body and cut the air off. Then tell me why its a sound repair to leave a unsecured hose in that sort of environment.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Correction. I get the drill/tap. But once you install the lines back there what do it ou change the breather bolts with or how do you plug them so it stops coming into the TB

You can just clean them up till oil free, then rough the surface of the holes up a little, then fill them with a good epoxy. Lockweld or JB Weld works fine. Just make sure you rough the hole up enough to give it some mechanical purchase to go along with the chemical bond.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Another potential issue I see with this approach...dusty roads and the "fine" dust that will find its way into the motor based on drilling through the air-filter without any sort of "seal" around the hose.....there are some potential unintended consequence with this method. :surprise:

D-

·
Registered
685 Posts
Now before you come back with some whitty unsupported retort..
Hay man, I ain't trying to be witty. Nor am I recommending anyone try this. I'm just saying what's the point on ripping on the guy so hard right out of the gate...that ain't right. And neither is the bully pulpit "bible" banging crap. There's no point in being preachy when people are just trying to have a conversation.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Hay man, I ain't trying to be witty. Nor am I recommending anyone try this. I'm just saying what's the point on ripping on the guy so hard right out of the gate...that ain't right. And neither is the bully pulpit "bible" banging crap. There's no point in being preachy when people are just trying to have a conversation.
You really have no idea how bad this little mod is, do you?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Re did my breather mod today. This is the easiest and quickest, safest way to do it. Just got 3 feet of line, and used the supplied T fitting from the OEM lines.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts