Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions for Stage 1 breather kit for my RGS. Ease of install a priority and best bang for the buck is another.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
what are you considering 'bang for your buck'? if you are not going to be doing much internal engine work, just about any of the stage 1 air cleaners is going to be fine for you. in terms of flow, it doesn't matter if one flows more than the other if they are all more than your engine needs.

if you want to go straight 'bang for buck' then replace your filter with a k&n filter. boom. done.

otherwise, it is more a question of, which one do you like the looks of most, and is within your price range?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what are you considering 'bang for your buck'? if you are not going to be doing much internal engine work, just about any of the stage 1 air cleaners is going to be fine for you. in terms of flow, it doesn't matter if one flows more than the other if they are all more than your engine needs.

if you want to go straight 'bang for buck' then replace your filter with a k&n filter. boom. done.

otherwise, it is more a question of, which one do you like the looks of most, and is within your price range?
THanks for your input. Maybe I worded my thread wrong, didn’t mean to sound like I was nickel diming it.
All I was looking for was an opinion if I am going to spend a few hundred is there one that may be better than the next.
Quite often I have seen or heard of someone spending top dollar for a piece of shit, just wanted to get some valued info from past experience.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
no, i didn't mean to insinuate that you were 'nickel and diming' it, i guess i didn't get my point across fully. the newer air cleaners are plenty fine for basic engine mods, i.e.. stage 1. you are mostly spending your money for looks.

to illustrate, let me throw some numbers out. these are arbitrary numbers....

your engine needs 25cfm
stock ac flows 30cfm
super awesome $5,000 ac flows 35cfm.

neither one will work better than the other because they both flow more air than your engine needs, so if you don't want to spend the $5,000 on super awesome hand carved billet ac, there is no reason to. unless you like the looks of it that much more.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi Ironhorse; I'm a big fan of the Arlen Ness Big Sucker kits. I have tried both the Stage I and Stage II kit. The latter worked even better with my SE-cams. These kits are easy to install, bolt-on kits but you'll have to find a cover that fits (AN have several designs and both blacked-out and chrome). The OEM won't fit with this kits...

·
Registered
721 Posts
I love the HD Stage one parts, but that is because I always prefer OEM elements than aftermarket (not always, but most of the times).

In my case, my RGU 17 M8 has the Heavy Breather (I love how it looks and perfomrs) and the SE Street Cannon mufflers with t,he standard end caps.

I know there are much more options aftermarket (V&H, Reinhart, etc).

I think all of then are perfect, so just get the ones that turn you on!!!!!

Don't forget to tell us which one you finally get.

Here my bike:

http://www.roadglide.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=332906&d=1508694719
http://www.roadglide.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=332922&d=1508694748

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. After this info and talking with a few of the guys I ride with I’m leaning towards the V&H VO2 since I am told I can use my stock 103 cover and hear it’s good quality and easy install.
Thanks again

·
Registered
207 Posts
S&S on my 15' and now on my '17. I'll never buy anything else. Great flow. Goes under the stock cover, or it can be run open with the older, oval cover insert to hide the mounting hardware.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
S&S on my 15' and now on my '17. I'll never buy anything else. Great flow. Goes under the stock cover, or it can be run open with the older, oval cover insert to hide the mounting hardware.
Do you have to remove the throttle body bracket under the gas tank? What model is it?

·
Registered
382 Posts
no, i didn't mean to insinuate that you were 'nickel and diming' it, i guess i didn't get my point across fully. the newer air cleaners are plenty fine for basic engine mods, i.e.. stage 1. you are mostly spending your money for looks.

to illustrate, let me throw some numbers out. these are arbitrary numbers....

your engine needs 25cfm
stock ac flows 30cfm
super awesome $5,000 ac flows 35cfm.

neither one will work better than the other because they both flow more air than your engine needs, so if you don't want to spend the $5,000 on super awesome hand carved billet ac, there is no reason to. unless you like the looks of it that much more.
All sounds logical but where can one find those kind of numbers. Its hard to find cfm numbers for any breather...and not sure when I can find cfn for my engine.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Do you have to remove the throttle body bracket under the gas tank? What model is it?
S&S Stealth. Comes with a new bracket for the '17. You can kind of see it in this pic.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
All sounds logical but where can one find those kind of numbers. Its hard to find cfm numbers for any breather...and not sure when I can find cfn for my engine.
Don't get wrapped up in the #s,,, the stock setup will outflow the Engine (even with some mods) it's not a restriction,,, so you're really changing A/Cs for a different look more than anything else... :grin:

That being said, I'm a fan of the K&N elements...

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
yeah, those were just arbitrary numbers that i picked (though i think i read somewhere that cfm requirement for the stock engine....) to illustrate that you don't have to spend big money on an ac worrying that you'll take a performance hit. go cheap with a k&n replacement filter, or go big with some high dollar one off billet piece. performance will be equal, but what matters is, is this the look that you are after?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts