Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,
Just put a front wheel setup from an 11 streetglide on my 08 RG.
Rotors were warped badly on the OE wheel so I figured, what the hell,
I get a new wheel (18") and maybe a good set of rotors to boot. Well, the rotors are flat, except now I get a hell of a scrubbing sound from the left brake. Pulled it off and the inboard pistons are moving, however the outboard are not. The scrubbing sound is from the caliper itself rubbing on the rotor. The pistons that are not moving are causing the caliper to shift over and the bosses that the pads ride on are being ground down. What the hell is going on is obviously above my pay grade. Anybody care to guess?
I'm scratching my head on this one.
And hey, the wheel was only $100.00.

Keith

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, today.
Also cleaned the calipers real good. Pumped up the pistons and cleaned around the edges real good with brake cleaner. And as a side note.
I clamped each side down and pumped the M/C and the darn things move, just not when assembled??
Almost like it has air trapped on the one side?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Photos, hot off the bike, literally!
I even centered the pistons last time I put the caliper back on.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
As well as possibly a spacer in wrong you may want to get the install procedure for a wheel for an 11 streetglide there may be something in the install alignment that is causing your issues .

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Something ain't right, your pads should be way out past the area thats being ground down. Do you have a manual ?

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Is it doing that on both calipers or just one? I know 09 and up wheels are compatible but are you sure 08s are? Did the brake pad get wedged somehow when you put it back together?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to what research I did it should be a direct bolt on, and it did bolt right on. I am suspecting at this point the caliper may have an issue. It is like the balance of pressure pushing the pistons outward is not right. I will get some DOT 4 tomorrow and try bleeding? I don't believe it is any kind of spacer issue because it's not an alignment problem. The calipers bolted right up, no problem.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
If you have a thin piece of plywood or something similar laying around slip it between the pads so you dont completely blow out the pistons and squeeze the brake lever to see if all the pistons start moving. After all the calipers are stationary when bolted up. Only the pistons move. If it wasn't doing this before you made the swap then there may be an alignment issued or maybe a pad got jammed

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kinda funny about the jammed pads thought. I bought new pads today thinking maybe the old pads (brembo) might be hanging. Same stuff with the new pads. I have tried the plywood trick as well. 2 pistons move, the other 2 do not. If I clamp down the 2 in the photo that are extended, the other 2 will move???? Very strange.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The wheel is on correctly. I checked the rotors and they are marked as R & L with directional arrows. Assuming the MoCo knows what they are doing I would have to say that is not the issue. I will try bleeding the caliper again today and see if I can get it functioning properly. The fluid distribution in the caliper when on the bike is not correct causing the one side to operate and the other not as evidenced by the photo I posted. The caliper was red hot in less than a mile,I centered the pads before install and popped it off as soon as I rolled in and took the photo.
I'm thinking it may be time for a different caliper. The bike shook violently when the front brakes were applied when I bought it 3 weeks ago. Rotor(s) were badly warped and now I'm thinkin the left caliper could have been the cause.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
I'm thinking it may be time for a different caliper. The bike shook violently when the front brakes were applied when I bought it 3 weeks ago. Rotor(s) were badly warped and now I'm thinkin the left caliper could have been the cause.
From the sounds of this, it may very well be time

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you shim the board solid to the side that the pistons move and then pull the brake will the other 2 pistons move? To me the question is not the rotor or wheel. It is the fact the 2 pistons will not move. Did something get inside the caliper and block the passages? Gasket or rubber seal out of place?

Why won't the other pistons move?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I did the samething wheel is on backwards.I think your over thinking it.I scratched my head for a while also.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I got it figured out. I will ride it to work today and report tonite if it functions ok. Wheel is not on backwards. Valve stem is on the right, directional arrows on rotors are correct. I am scratching my head now over what I found. Stay tuned.
Thanks for all the input. Really appreciate your time.
Keith

1 - 20 of 29 Posts