Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my other thread i have the pictures of my mangled second gear. Totally due to user abuse in my opinion.

Swapped it out for a used 2007 streetglide transmission that i got on ebay. used the baker high torque bearing for the install since it had the 2007 main shaft.

I noticed some skipping out of third in the transmission but rode around it, skipping over third. Assumed it was a dog gear or shift fork that was worn. My plan was to pull the transmission out and use parts of the other transmission that i removed, if serviceable, to solve the third gear issue.

On the way to work the other day I rapped the throttle in second gear and kaboom! Gear noises, bad gear noises. I was only half a mile from home so I limped in riding it in 4th or 5th. Seemed like the least amount of noise in those gears.

Last night i pulled out the transmission again to see how bad it was and found i broke the trap door. Also interesting to see that the nut is no longer on the counter shaft. Cool. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Bummer! Looks like that DD7 is coming sooner than expected.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know. I should have ordered it in the first place. I'm like $600 into this fiasco already with the transmission, fluids, gaskets, etc.

Good news is i can have my transmission out of the bike and on my workbench in about an hour now.

I just got off the phone with baker, DD7 promotion right now, including tool rental, gaskets, mainshaft bearing, etc. for $2995

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Baker DD7 and Hayden M6 ordered and on the way.

I also bought the baker main drive bearing tool.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was considering the DD6 too. Its a little bit cheaper than the DD7, wasn't sure if that would fit in the case or if i would then need an older case. I'm looking forward to the different gear ratios, i was going to change my pulley.

I'm thinking that I need to chill out on dropping the clutch and going down the road sideways.

·
Banned
60 Posts
OD 6 is the strongest of the bunch from Baker and the tool is considerably less money from George's Garage and they're excellent tools. I think I have about every tools they make. In all honestly though, the Baker Street Door and Haevy Duty throwout bearing should be more than strong enough for the power in your signature and way less money. The Hayden doesn't fare well either with the big power output. The Baker Attitude adjuster seems to be the best option or taking the stock unit and welding it so it can't continually ratchet up tighter and wipe out bearings.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Baker DD7 is installed and bike is running great.

Gearing is finally the way it should have been. Logged about 300 miles over the weekend. Its done, i'm happy.

Just a little lighter in the wallet than I wish.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I realize that this was an older thread, but you where killing your trans with 115 ft lbs? Bummer to read of your troubles, but you got it licked now!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I realize that this was an older thread, but you where killing your trans with 115 ft lbs? Bummer to read of your troubles, but you got it licked now!
I think the stocker only liked so much abuse. I dont think the amount of power being put to the ground is what cost me the transmission.

It lived a hard life of power shifting and rolling burnouts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts