Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I broke down 1/2 mile from home. Not relevant to the issue but I ended up pushing my bike home. I'll never do that again!!!! So, I was at a stop and the light changed to green. I proceeded to move forward. When I shift from 1st to second gear the bike hesitated (as if it was running out of gas) and then stalled. I tried repeatedly to restart the bike with no luck. The best I got was a backfire through my breather. It sat in my garage until today. The bike started right up but stalled as soon as I shift from 1st to 2nd gear. My low gas indicator is on but there's plenty of gas in the tank and the indicator says 57 miles until empty... so I have about a gallon.

Funds are low and I'd like to fix this myself if possible. Any thoughts or advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Fill it up with high quality non-ethanol fuel and add a few ounces of seafoam and see if that clears it up.

Are you saying you can ride around the block in 1st gear and it won't stall, but as soon as you shift into 2nd it will stall? Or are you starting it and then as soon as you get rolling in 1st gear you shift into 2nd and it stalls?

That is all the advice I have on the subject. Maybe someone else who knows that bike will chime in.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Does it throw and codes ?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Do you have fuel? do you have spark? Always the basics so we know where to start. Fuel and spark at the cylinder, not the tank. Give it a sniff of starting fluid, does it start and run for a few seconds? Check spark with a spark tester or a spare plug, do you have spark?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have fuel? do you have spark? Always the basics so we know where to start. Fuel and spark at the cylinder, not the tank. Give it a sniff of starting fluid, does it start and run for a few seconds? Check spark with a spark tester or a spare plug, do you have spark?
Yes, I have fuel and a spark

Does it throw and codes ?
I haven't checked. Probably a good idea. Thx.

Are you saying you can ride around the block in 1st gear and it won't stall, but as soon as you shift into 2nd it will stall? Or are you starting it and then as soon as you get rolling in 1st gear you shift into 2nd and it stalls?

I can ride around the block in 1st gear. I usually shift from 1st to 2nd around 3500 RPM's.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If I had to guess I'd say it's starving for fuel. Check fuel filter and the lines inside the tank. Listen closely to the fuel tank while the engine is running. Sometimes the internal fuel lines crack and squirt fuel around inside the tank. You'll be able to hear it if that's the problem.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
If I had to guess I'd say it's starving for fuel. Check fuel filter and the lines inside the tank. Listen closely to the fuel tank while the engine is running. Sometimes the internal fuel lines crack and squirt fuel around inside the tank. You'll be able to hear it if that's the problem.
I agree with this... Im not saying thats the issue but fuel lines are double walled. I had an inner wall collapse when it got hot or what ever reason it decided to do it. I replaced the fuel line problem fixed. Also I want to add that it was a fuel line on a boat and it was when they were first starting playing with all the ethanol gas bs.... What ever it is keep us posted...

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Do you have a aftermarket tuner. I take it that there is fuel in the tank so we'll take that out of the equation. My bike would backfire once in awhile when I tried to start it and all I needed to do was turn the ignition off and then back on and it would start. I figured it was in the tuner and when I went to a Power Vision I haven't had that problem.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I broke down 1/2 mile from home. Not relevant to the issue but I ended up pushing my bike home. I'll never do that again!!!! So, I was at a stop and the light changed to green. I proceeded to move forward. When I shift from 1st to second gear the bike hesitated (as if it was running out of gas) and then stalled. I tried repeatedly to restart the bike with no luck. The best I got was a backfire through my breather. It sat in my garage until today. The bike started right up but stalled as soon as I shift from 1st to 2nd gear. My low gas indicator is on but there's plenty of gas in the tank and the indicator says 57 miles until empty... so I have about a gallon.

Funds are low and I'd like to fix this myself if possible. Any thoughts or advise is appreciated.

Spark is not your issue. Without spark, you wouldn't be riding the bike at all.

This all points to an issue involving fuel. Specifically, your gas indicator lighting up. I would be willing to bet your pump is on it's last leg, or the fuel line internally is compromised. Only one way to figure it out. You can listen for the fuel line issues like previously described.

Let us know what you find out, good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Easy thing to check is fuel. Just pour another gallon in and see what happens.

Miles to empty is bullshlt. But it seldom says that there are a lot of miles left when it is out of gas. If you can hear a gallon or more slosh in the tank, and adding a gallon cures it, then you have an issue with the pick up in the tank. As in the sock fell off.

If more gas still does not cure it, it could still be a delivery issue, low volume or low pressure. You'll have to put a test gauge and manifold on it to check that. And I seem to recall a TSB about filter housing warping, on 13's IIRC.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Easy thing to check is fuel. Just pour another gallon in and see what happens.

Miles to empty is bullshlt. But it seldom says that there are a lot of miles left when it is out of gas. If you can hear a gallon or more slosh in the tank, and adding a gallon cures it, then you have an issue with the pick up in the tank. As in the sock fell off.

If more gas still does not cure it, it could still be a delivery issue, low volume or low pressure. You'll have to put a test gauge and manifold on it to check that. And I seem to recall a TSB about filter housing warping, on 13's IIRC.

It was the 13's, mine got fixed under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
May want to try to clean out your TB as well. I know I was having issues with mine and got a lot of junk out of mine. I guess the crankcase gasses get vented into the TB which can cause fouling and build up. Also maybe check plugs and wires.

Troy

·
Registered
439 Posts
I had a similar problem on my Glide, but instead of the fuel line being cracked, the fuel FILTER housing cracked. First thing the dealer did was to check the fuel pressure; luckily it was a very easy and super quick fix.

Reactions: turbochrisb
1 - 17 of 17 Posts