Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was attempting to adjust my clutch and was on step #2 in the manual saying to run the adjusting bolt clockwise in to let slack off...when I did so I felt a little resistance(using a 1/4 allen wench there’s resistance) turned one more twist and the teeth from the clutch hub all broke, the snap ring came out and hit me in the chest...wth happen? I would add pics but I don’t know how...luckily JP has the hub for 100$ but I just got done with replacing the belt and that was 300$!!! what did I do wrong?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I was attempting to adjust my clutch and was on step #2 in the manual saying to run the adjusting bolt clockwise in to let slack off...when I did so I felt a little resistance(using a 1/4 allen wench there’s resistance) turned one more twist and the teeth from the clutch hub all broke, the snap ring came out and hit me in the chest...wth happen? I would add pics but I don’t know how...luckily JP has the hub for 100$ but I just got done with replacing the belt and that was 300$!!! what did I do wrong?
What are you working on? Not sure what you mean by teeth.

Basically, if you had the cable backed off (full short) then you turned the hub adjustment screw in till you felt light resistance, then backed off 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn, it should have been fine. Even if you didn't get the "light resistance" part exactly right, at worst it should have just released the clutch.

If you were working on a 97 or older with the snap ring holding the spring down, they can fail after service from reusing the retentions snap ring. And they usually ruin the hub when the ring pops off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts