Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Throwing my leg up and over my RG earlier today I kicked the Audio button. It went flying. Came out of the switch pod with a piece of brass connected to it. Broken piece of black plastic too.

What all is involved in replacing this button?

Thanks in advance...

·
Banned
845 Posts
U kicked ur audio button as u were getting on???! Are u a freakin ninja? How in the world does that happen? Did u jump off something, say a two story house to mount it? Lmao man, sorry no help but I would certainly look into rethinking my mounting technique if I was you

·
Registered
264 Posts
U kicked ur audio button as u were getting on???! Are u a freakin ninja? How in the world does that happen? Did u jump off something, say a two story house to mount it? Lmao man, sorry no help but I would certainly look into rethinking my mounting technique if I was you...
LMFAO!!!! Im sorry too...I just got an idea in my head as I read the original post and then I see your response. You hit the nail on the head with this one because I was thinking to myself....how in the hell do you mount your bike and kick the audio button off your handlebar?!!! I know I offer no help or remedy on this one...but this thread just made my day! ;)

·
Registered
516 Posts
I swapped my switch housings to the chrome ones and those switches are a pita to get back in perfectly.... from what I remember they are wired all the way through... so if your wired internally you'll have to remove the wiring harness or cut and splice...... not much room inside those pods.....

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Don't try and repair just replace, the parts guys' will tell ya all, about as easy as changing grips. Just don't get any water in any switch housing:D

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I have repaired my audio button a couple of times. The brass peg goes through a plastic face plate and it will go back into the main switch, you can see where the peg goes and as long as you put the faceplate on while keeping the peg straight the switch will go back together alright. If the complete faceplate came off you can just super glue the switch back together and everything will work fine. If you broke the faceplate you may not be able to repair the switch.
HD just glues these switches together and the glue can fail over time just from age and getting the switch wet from riding in the rain or washing the bike and heat may have something to do with it too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I 2nd that "Are you a freaking Ninja"?:D

·
Banned
845 Posts
LMFAO!!!! Im sorry too...I just got an idea in my head as I read the original post and then I see your response. You hit the nail on the head with this one because I was thinking to myself....how in the hell do you mount your bike and kick the audio button off your handlebar?!!! I know I offer no help or remedy on this one...but this thread just made my day! ;)

Hahahaha, so funny!!!

On a serious note: i tried to mount my bike and kick the audio button, absolutely could not do it. Then I decided " well, screw it, Ill just try and kick it" ...... i couldnt even kick it, let alone mount and kick it!! Man, please make a video of how you mount this bike and let us try and help you prefect your mounting technique!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretty easy when you think about it guys.

Handlebars cocked hard to the left. Lift your right foot up to clear the tank.

The toe of your boot can hit the switch.

Seriously. That's not the point

·
Banned
845 Posts
Dude, seriously is its in fun and not to be taken seriously at all...... If you cant joke around then think before you post stuff like this on a forum of this nature...... Cause I promise, we know how to have fun

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
Ouch. I thought you just broke off the button.
+1, I didn't realize it was that serious, never seen that before. I don't know, but I think you might have to replace a little more than just the button.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Banned
845 Posts
You're right. I need to lighten up. Thanks again guys!!

Its all good bro!

This looks like you may need to replace the entire switch itself, not the whole leftside handlebar control switches but just that switch. It can be repaired, but only be a bndaid. Here is a link to a blow up of the controls with part numbers. Hope this helps

http://www.hdofscottsdale.com/oempartfinder.htm#/Harley-Davidson®/FLHTC_DJLK_Touring_Electra_Glide_Classic_(1989)/HANDLEBAR_SWITCHES/99450-90A-1042/9945090A-83123-H030265

1 - 20 of 21 Posts